Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Article about: by danhashman There are those little crossed swords on the ribbon. Is there something to tell about that? I often see Ehrenkreuze whose ribbons have no little swords attached to it, i guess

Another, rather nice, recent acquisition is this four-place medal bar, which unites the Frontkämpfer cross with its equivalent medals from Austria, Hungary and Bulgaria (see post # 126 for a little more info on those).
    It came with the matching ribbon bar, mounted in the south-German style:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Just for additional information, here is a ribbon bar showing the ribbons for the Austrian, Hungarian and Bulgarian non-combatants' medals:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Let me close for today with a website recommendation. Quite by chance, I recently stumbled upon a site about the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz that I can heartily recommend to anybody with an interest in this decoration. You will find countless photographs of all three categories of the cross in all kinds of variations, sizes and mounting styles, as well as associated material such as documents and period photographs of the cross in wear etc. (It is German-language, but easy to navigate):

Startseite - weltkriegs-ehrenkreuz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz
    P
    Many

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Let me close for today with a website recommendation. Quite by chance, I recently stumbled upon a site about the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz that I can heartily recommend to anybody with an interest in this decoration.

Startseite - weltkriegs-ehrenkreuz
    Wow he must be your twin brother Andreas if i had stumbled upon that website before you mentioned it i would have been sure that it was yours
    Nice additions mate
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Two new additions. Both pieces are part of a very nice medal grouping, which I have posted in its entirety in my ongoing thread on the Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille [Red Cross Medal], see:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...3/#post1039671

First, we have an unmounted Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Here is a very nice miniature ladies's bow combining the Prussian Rote-Kreuz-Medaille 2nd and 3rd Class with the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer. The "triangular" mounting style is rather unusual:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The "triangular" mounting style is rather unusual:
    But very attractive.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Time for yet another update with a few recent purchases.

Here is a ribbon bar representing the same four decorations as seen in post # 131. Note that with this piece, the Hungarian and Bulgarian medals do not have the swords devices. These are actually redundant, as - unlike their German and Austrian equivalents - the "combatant" versions of these two medals had distinctive ribbons different from those for the "non-combatant"/"next of kin" ones. On ribbon bars, the ribbons can commonly be found both with and without the swords.

Measuring 10 cm in width, this bar is quite wide, as it is constructed with 25 mm ribbons.

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

And some more miniature medals (with my usual scale reference):

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz
    Last edited by HPL2008; 01-10-2014 at 07:33 PM.

?

HPL I have just spent the last 40 minutes or so going through this thread.. & all I can say is thank you very much what an excellent thread..Some of these medals I have never heard of so it is nice to see something different.. Cheers Terry.

Here are two more small additions. Both are civilian lapel miniatures.

First, a three-place miniature bow with metal pendants worn by a non-combatant/rear area type who was awarded the Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer.

On the left is the Prussian Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst [Merit Cross for Work in Support of the War Effort], instituted in 1916 and awarded for meritorious contributions to the war effort rendered in the home area.
    Center is its Bavarian equivalent, the König-Ludwig-Kreuz [Kind Ludwig Cross], also instituted in 1916 and awarded for meritorious wartime work in the interest of the Bavarian Army or state rendered in the homeland.

Obverse view:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Reverse view:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Detail view. The ribbons show their age, especially the one for the König-Ludwig-Kreuz. It is frayed and the blue portions on the exposed part have faded to nearly-white:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Scale reference shot:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Here we have a civilian stickpin miniature for a WW1 veteran who has also rendered services in WW2. He went on to proudly wear his decorations in the post-war era: Notice that this is a "1957" piece as instantly recognizable by the KVKII with the "1939" centerpiece instead of a Swastika one. (Technically, this is the only "1957"-version here, as the design of the others is unchanged.)

The decorations are, from left to right, the 1914 EKII, the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer, the KVKII with Swords and, once more, the Hungarian and Bulgarian WWI commemorative medals.

Obverse view:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Reverse view:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Scale reference shot. The details are really nice considering the piece's tiny size:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Very nice friend.
    I was thinking today that there were no updates lately in this thread
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Here is my one and only ww1 german medal set, back has functioning pin and the medals are hung from hooks. The ribbons are faded a bit.

Recently added to the family, here is my latest Ehrenkreuz für Hinterbliebene:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast