Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st Pattern Mutterkreuz in Silber

Article about: Hello All, this is not mine but it is one that could become available. These are the only two pictures that I have. What I see is a reasonable obverse and some fairly bold engraving on the b

Default 1st Pattern Mutterkreuz in Silber

Hello All, this is not mine but it is one that could become available.
    These are the only two pictures that I have.

What I see is a reasonable obverse and some fairly bold engraving on the back.

I am happy with the cross being engraved but with such a heavy hand makes me not too sure.
    Trying to find decent examples of these is like finding the proverbial needle.

Any comments or opinions welcomed.

All the best
    Doug

1st Pattern Mutterkreuz in Silber1st Pattern Mutterkreuz in Silber

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1st Pattern Mutterkreuz in Silber
    P
    Many

Hello Doug,
    Post 13 in this thread.
    Error - German Helmet Walhalla
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph,
    I'll have to register on this site tomorrow so I can see what they have to say.
    All the best
    Doug

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Thanks Ralph,
    I'll have to register on this site tomorrow so I can see what they have to say.
    All the best
    Doug
    I will contact the author and ask if I can post his photos of a first pattern here.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Cheers you are a pal

?

I didn't know that there was a 1st pattern. Very interesting. So is there a time frame that the 1st pattern was used/awarded?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hello Phil
    The only information I have is that the first type was introduced but was very quickly superceded by the second and more familiar examples.
    Obviously the rarity is reflected in the value of these first issue crosses.

They just have to be a target for the high end forgers

Doug

Here you go Doug.
    A 1st type Mutterkruez in bronze, with engraving.
    Ralph.

Property of, and photo credit to GHW member RonR

That's great thank you Ralph.
    I actually have these pictures on my database and originally I had it listed as a possible cast fake.
    Obviously this is only my opinion but we can discuss it further. During my research I believe that these 1st pattern crosses came with a flat back and were then engraved with the dedication. I believe that the engraving would have always been of quite fine quality. The one with the red background looks to be quite coarse and granular looking but the engraving compared to the silver one below is a near perfect match.
    It was more than likely (IMO) that this time consuming process was the reason that the second pattern was made with the stamped dedication.
    Below are a couple of other pictures from my files:

1st Pattern Mutterkreuz in Silber1st Pattern Mutterkreuz in Silber

This silver one is quite believable and has an attractive patina and the engraving looks quite convincing.

I did do a comparison with the engraved dedication with the bronze cross that you kindly posted at it is a near perfect match.
    This then left me with unanswered questions.
    Was the pattern for the engraved dedication supplied to the manufacturer(s) of the first pattern cross and this was to be strictly adhered to? Did they work from a template?
    How many makers of the first pattern cross were there? If it was only one then every cross should (like every other badge or medal we study) have almost the exact same details varying only on any hand finishing that is applied. If it was more than one then surely there would be a difference in both the cross and engraving.

Anyway this is the final picture comparing 3 different dedications.

Rather grainy picture I know but shows the two variations that I know of.

All the best
    Doug
    Last edited by Saladin; 05-11-2016 at 04:43 PM.

interesting post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast