Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

2 kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )

Article about: Hi Guys, Well, I agree Martin is "the man" for Hilfskreuzers. It thanks to his interest, support and his great collection that we know what we do. Having said that he's a little to

?

Try a search for Baqueville on the forum as these badges have been discussed before. One of those that you either believe in or not......

In spite of this, I'm not sure the bottom one is actually by Baqueville. There are differences between this one and the one I'm looking at so either there are more than one variation or this is a fake of a Baqueville.

The first one I'm unsure about. It looks like a S&L but I don't know if it's the light or the photo but the base metal just doesn't look right to me.

I'm sure Martin will be able to put us in order and tell us everything we need to know about these badges.

In the meantime, I'm off to look at my S&L with a hollow rivet.................

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2  kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )
    P
    Many

thanks for all youre help
    i have some better pics ....

I am in agreement with Ned in regards to the Bacqueville badge.They have been the subject of numerous discussions over the years on many forums and i think i am safe in saying that the majority of collectors beleive them to be of postwar production.

We have no period photographic evidence of these badges being worn.

Go to WAF,do a forum search and enter Bacqueville badges.There is all you need to know there.

Personally,not a piece i would want in my collection.

Now,the first badge is what i beleive to a postwar produced example by Steinhauer & Luck.I say this because i have not seen this block hinge type of reverse set up on any known period piece in zinc.

Below are the reverse set-ups i look for in a wartime S&L badge,although the inverse-tapered pin set -up can be seen on postwar S&L's.
    The large domed head rivet is also a sign of S&L postwar production IMO.

Edit.

I see additional images were posted as i was posting.From this set i can see the later "type 2" globe encountered on the postwar S&L badges including their '57 HK awards.These globes have thicker lines of longitude and latitude than those seen on period badges,also a flaw in the bow waves,that is not encountered on wartime pieces.

Regards,Martin.
    Last edited by martinw; 03-31-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Here are four reverse set ups that can be found on wartime S&L HK awards.The rivets can be of a small domed or snipped type.

Regards,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2  kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )  

revise my 1st opinion.

Here is a comparison of the 1st and 2nd type globes found on S&L badges,put together by Norm.

The badge on the left (type 1 ) shows the globe from one of my wartime pieces,as you can see the lines of latitude and longitude are much thinner than those seen on the postwar (type 2 ) globe.

Norm has also pointed out the flaws that can be found on the type 2 globe.

I also forgot to mention above that a hollow rivet on an S&L badge is also indicative of postwar production.

Cheers,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2  kriegabzeichen fur hilfskreuzer ( auxilliary cruiser war badge )  

I thought the search area for MH370 was off the south western coast of Australia not Portugal?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

As ever Martin is "the man" when it comes to these awards. Would I be right in thinking that the "edges" of the oak leaves on the first badge seem a bit to sharp and uneven? Personally I have become very interested in these recently since I purchased my one and only! I am learning something new all the while about these great (and under appreciated )awards! Leon.

Well.i do collect HK awards but i would not exactly say that i was "the man" when it comes to these Steihhauer & Luck HK awards Leon but i thank you for your kind comment.

All credit is due to Norm F.IMO. First,at GCA he put the information together.I had series of zinc HK awards that i knew were from one maker They had identical obverse features but variant reverse set ups.

Norm was the guy that put the "pieces" together and and found the "link" to S&L as the manufacturer of these rivetted,two piece zinc awards.
    Great detective work on his behalf.

He's "the man" IMO.

Regards,Martin.

P.S.

I do have a thread "pinned" in the KM forum at GCA titled "Discovering the S&L Hilfskreuzer awards".

If interested in any S&L awards,well worth a look,i think.
    Last edited by martinw; 03-31-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast