Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?

Article about: Hi i recently purchased this 2nd class bronze w/swords ostvolk medal, it came with a new ribbon(from a silver ostvolk) and a replacement suspention ring. the medal has a flat reverse and no

Default 2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?

Hi i recently purchased this 2nd class bronze w/swords ostvolk medal, it came with a new ribbon(from a silver ostvolk) and a replacement suspention ring. the medal has a flat reverse and no rope around the flower, ive seen these before and i noticed that all the ostvok medals that had the "no rope" design had the flat reverse. So i am wondering weather its an early war period design or a 57 version or just a fake. Its made of zinc and the weight is pretty much appropriate, still some residue of the bronze left.
    some ideas? Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?   2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?  

2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?   2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?
    P
    Many

Default Re: 2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?

The medal itself looks fine and I believe these "no rope" versions are a makers variation.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: 2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?

Adrians right. The medal is a good one. There is much discussion over these medals. It is said that the "ropeless" medals were an early, 1st pattern, short run issue.

I dont believe there actually was a 57 version of this.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

thanks guys!

?

Quote by Wolfspear View Post

I dont believe there actually was a 57 version of this.

Nick
    You're right Nick. No swastika - no need for a re-issue.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I too have one of these variations. Nothing wrong with yours.

what was this medal awarded for?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    what was this medal awarded for?
    Here is a link Obkrieger

Ostvolk Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi adolfzoid, this is my one with no ribbon...
    same type...

Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.
    Joseph Stalin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?   2nd class ostvolk in bronze with swords (flat reverse and no rope around the flower). wartime,57 or just a repro?