Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.

Article about: by zephyr4 Just to confirm do you mean the rough edge on the side of the pin Ned. z4 . You're gonna say it's the same aren't ya.....

Default Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.

Please comment on this badge if its ok.

Thanks for any info z4
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.  
    Last edited by Adrian; 02-03-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.
    P
    Many

?

From what I can see, I would not be happy to call this badge original. There are many differences between the badge above and the one I'm comparing to.

I have a feeling the base metal in wrong, it should be tombak or zinc. The makers mark is wrong and the hinge doesn't look right.

On the obverse, there are some details that don't match the Schwerin badge I'm looking at. It would be good to see a straight on shot but from here, the eagle's head is wrong, the chain links are too thick, the breaking chain and wave pattern on the prow are different as are some details on the boat.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree with all of Adrian's comments, and would add that the 3rd row of portholes down only has six, when the genuine badge has seven. I believe this is a major 'tell' on these fakes, but better wait for Martin's say on that as he knows these well.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.Hi guys,

i have to say that from what i see from the images provided,i am not too keen on this one.
    However,i would like to see better,straight on images of the obverse and reverse and close-ups of the the hinge and catch.

The font on the maker mark looks odd to me.
    From what i remember,Schwerin used two set of dies for their Blockade badge production during the war and examples of these badges,from both sets of dies can be found in tombak and zinc.
    They produced badges with a "flatback" and small font on the maker mark and a "scooped" back with a larger font on the maker mark.The badges with the smaller font(flatback) were more widely spaced,wheras the badges with the larger font (scooped back) were more closely spaced.
    I am illustrating examples of both types below.

Here is a scooped back example in tombak with the larger font that is spaced close together.

Even though this badge is in tombak the hinge assembly on these scooped examples is reminiscent of what we normally see on zinc Schwerin's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.  

Here is what i consider to be an early example of the tombak Schwerin Blockade badge.

It has the smaller,more widely spaced font,laid down block hinge and domed head hingepin.

Although i have sold off most of my KM collection,with the exception of my Hilfskreuzer awards,this is one badge i intend to keep.It is not mint,it is worn/polished down to where the tombak basemetal is visible on the highlights but just one of those pieces i think is just great.

Regards,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.   Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.  

A couple more pic's Martin

Thanks for the input.

z4

Thanks for the input z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.   Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher.  

Last edited by zephyr4; 02-04-2014 at 09:18 AM.

?

Now compare the straight on image with those that Martin has posted, noting the details I mentioned in my previous post. What do you think?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I see what you mean Martin and the eagles head and claw's on the swastika do not look the same to me or is that just me.

z4

Check the sheared edges of the pin where it was punched out. If it hasn't got the striations and fracture line as seen below then it's also a sign of a bad one as all originals should look like this without exception whereas the fakes rarely, if ever, do.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Just to confirm do you mean the rough edge on the side of the pin Ned.

z4
    Attached Images Attached Images Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher. 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast