Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?

Article about: Hi, I am new to the forum. Have a ww2 blockade runners badge in great condition. Just need advice from the experts on if you think it is authentic ? One strange thing is that the latch is fi

Default Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?

Hi, I am new to the forum. Have a ww2 blockade runners badge in great condition. Just need advice from the experts on if you think it is authentic ? One strange thing is that the latch is fitted directly over the "scherwin" name. Attached are photo's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?   Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?  

Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?   Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?  

Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?   Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?
    P
    Many

Hi Warren , welcome to the forum , I can see your worry as Scherwin were a top manufacturer and they are usually very precise with their pieces. I am also not sure that that is even a scherwin hinge on this award but Ned is the expert on most awards around here so he will tell you for sure , but I personally am not that happy with it. Leon.

I'm no expert on these awards, but the catch looks pretty crudely soldered.

Thanks leon, also I noticed that the spacing between the makers mark/description are wider then on a normal scherwin badge ? Yes, the soldering is pretty messy,.....but could it have escaped the "quality controls". Don't know ?

This is a fine small font flatback BB in zinc. The soldering was often a problem with these, take note of the over cleaned, but otherwise genuine example below. The 24mm stickpin also looks O.K. from the limited pics of that.

The case is a bit unusual, it's either a rare variant or a post war English made copy. Take a look at this 2 page thread from WAF that discusses the variants that Schwerin did, and did not use.

Boxed Blockade Runner Badge - Page 2 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Welcome to the forum. Nice pick up! I remember seeing this set for sale a little while back. Congrats!

I told you Ned would know for sure , he's the daddy!! I'm glad it's a good one. Leon.

Thanks Ned, I have attached some more pics of the box and a couple of the stick pin. cheers Warren
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?   Abzeichen Für Blockadebrecher - fake or real ?  

Hi Warren,

The set is a good one, both badges are A1 imo. But the case style has been questioned recently on WAF, as the linked thread I posted above shows. Tbh, from your photo's I think it may be an original one that is a variant type due to the creased leather covering rather than the more often seen linen type finish, but it needs looking at by someone who knows more of these things than i'll ever do.

I would suggest you either post it on WAF or even p.m. a member here, 'Norm F' who is extremely knowledgable in all things regarding KM awards, to give his opinion on it. As I say, it COULD well be a relatively new and rare type that has not surfaced until recently, or it may be a repro. As it stands, if I were to be buying the set now, i'd only be considering the value of the two awards, and not the case as well, until it's validated or rejected.

Nevertheless, a nice set of badges in great condition!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hi Guys,

I agree with everything Ned has stated. Lovely minty original badge and mini but an atypical case. Along with the other two such cases mentioned in the thread on WAF, this now is the third one to show up with the faux leather texture rather than the usual woven textile texture. However, the one posted by Warren has an insert with a different more plush surface than the felt texture of the previous two.

To illustrate, first see attached here the two types of widely accepted "classic" cases for Schwerin awards. The first is the large one with metal hinges for the set with the large mini and the second is the smaller case with cardboard hinge for the set with the 9 mm mini. Both cases have the exterior linen texture mentioned by Ned. Note the shape of the cutouts that accommodate the reverse hardware of the badge.

Then look at the three atypical cases with the faux leather texture, the first two with the simple felt-like inserts and the one posted by Warren with the plush insert. In all three cases, the cutouts for the badge hardware do not match those seen on the classic cases. Also, in all three cases where these were posted, the badges, although original, were in much less worn condition than the cases themselves.

So in my opinion, these are original badges but not in their original case. That doesn't necessarily mean the cases are "fake", just that were originally intended for some other purpose. They seem quite old in their own right.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast