Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ärmelband Kreta: HELP

Article about: REAL or REPRO?? can anyone tell??

Default Ärmelband Kreta: HELP

REAL or REPRO?? can anyone tell??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ärmelband Kreta: HELP
    P
    Many

Default re: Ärmelband Kreta: HELP

Hi Mike,

The cotton/linen tape looks textbook to me, and I like the definition on the Acanthus leaves too, so I'd say it stands a good chance, BUT I'm still learning on these things!

I think if you can get it in hand, a black light test would really help in your decision as these cuff titles are pretty expensive, especially if it's a bad 'un!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi guys, i cannot comment on originality as i have no experience on the particular title. I would like to refer to the blacklight test, which is from my experience a myth.
    If the cuff title has been washed by the previous owner, using for example Ariel (a modern detergent) then it will glow like a Christmas tree. Also something original i.e. a ribbon will even glow after you iron it.
    On the other hand i have bought a 1939 EKII and the ribbon was not glowing after doing the test. When i did the burning test (pulled a thread and burned it with a lighter) though, it melted which indicates that it was made of petroleum=modern reproduction.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

KSH
    ?

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    Hi guys, i cannot comment on originality as i have no experience on the particular title. I would like to refer to the blacklight test, which is from my experience a myth.
    If the cuff title has been washed by the previous owner, using for example Ariel (a modern detergent) then it will glow like a Christmas tree. Also something original i.e. a ribbon will even glow after you iron it.
    On the other hand i have bought a 1939 EKII and the ribbon was not glowing after doing the test. When i did the burning test (pulled a thread and burned it with a lighter) though, it melted which indicates that it was made of petroleum=modern reproduction.
    I agree that the "blacklight test" is far from being an indicator of originality on its own. And yes, original period cloth CAN glow in some rare cases (for reasons you have stated and other reasons as well), and yes, reproductions can be made that will not glow under a blacklight. But to call it a myth, thereby indicating that it is utterly useless as a collector tool, that I can't agree with, Chris My impression on the whole is that MOST period cloth items do not glow.

- Kenneth

Quote by KSH View Post
    My impression on the whole is that MOST period cloth items do not glow.

- Kenneth
    Yeah mate, unless you wash or iron them. So you can never know with blacklight
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

KSH
    ?

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    Yeah mate, unless you wash or iron them. So you can never know with blacklight
    I agree that you can never be sure if you judge an item simply by how it fares through a black light test, Chris.

- Kenneth