Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge

Article about: Attached are photos of a purportedly genuine Third Reich era Assmann produced aluminum Radio Gunner badge. The wreath and eagle details looks great, however I'm concerned about the integral

Luther
    ?

Default Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge

Attached are photos of a purportedly genuine Third Reich era Assmann produced aluminum Radio Gunner badge.

The wreath and eagle details looks great, however I'm concerned about the integral pin-hinge at the top reverse. Honestly, I've never seen an actual aluminum example "in-person."

Correct Assman logo and DRGM designation with the cut-off "lug nuts." And not sure about that pin - its style and shape. I thought all aluminum badges were early war production and that does not look like an early style pin to me.

Above average retained finish, but this one just looks too "new." But hey, what do I know about these badges...could be the prize of the Century and I wouldn't know - not my area.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge   Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge  

Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge   Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge  

2. # ADS

Luther
    ?

Default Re: Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge

In fact, I don't recall any manufacturer producing this badge in aluminum.

See...I'm dead wrong. Mark Miller shows a RO with cutout swastika on Wermacht-Awards. The reverse of that badge looks like this one's twin.

This fake can also be found without lightning bolts or makers mark. Stewy S

Luther
    ?

Hello Stewy S,

I'm not sure I understand your post.

Are you stating that the posted example is a fake or that fakes of it can be found without the maker's mark and DRGM mark?

I'm of the impression that it is a genuine Third Reich badge...exactly like examples on Wermacht Awards down to the last detail. Like I said, Mark Miller has one of his badges shown, without the lightning bolts, and the reverse details are the same as the one pictured here.

Initially, my concern was that it is an aluminum badge. However, I've discovered through research that these aluminum examples are legitimate.

?

and this is why I'll buy no more badges. In my humble, and uneducated opinion, the quality on the rear is bad. I know, late war, standards slipped.

Whatever. When I see perfect looking examples claimed as fake I have to pass the same on this item.

But again, what do I know?

Sorry Luther,i meant the fakes like these,meaning an integral hinge have no bolts or M/M. Alu Assmans are out there if you're lucky enough to find one. Which i haven't,as yet. Stewy S

?

Luther.
    i have found some pictures of badges matching yours with the cast in hinge. the undamages 1st and second pattern assmann in aluminum belong to a senior moderator's collection. the last 2nd pattern aluminum that is damaged, belongs to a different member. also to assmann varients of the paratroopers badge showing the same hinge.
    all 3 are given the thumbs up as originals. i'm sure you can find pictures of others too.
    my understanding is aluminum was used early on, and then droped because they were not strong enough to hold up. i personally do not think your badge is fake. but i'm no expert. just a collector that looks around to see whats out there.
    i hope it helps.
    andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge   Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge  

?

i forgot i had this picture of an Assmann aluminum breast eagle. notice the hinge. it would be very hard for me to say that Assman did not use that style hinge at all. i believe badge making went through a number of changes in almost 10 years of production. there are top of the line in quality badges, possably given as awards. and perhaps lesser refined badges for private purchase, or replacement's from either the military or LDO. some things, with out period evidence, and even then for example. the offical order for a badges design, size and weight. varied slightly by maker. not holding EXACTLY to specs. but close enough to be acceptable. same with hinges and hooks. the only requirement was that they were sturdy enough to hold up. so it leaves some things to speculation.
    for me badges are a mine field of variations of originals, ( anything made pre 1945 including jewlers copies ) and post war made items from original dies, casts of original badges and other out right fakes.
    so for me i have to take each badge, one at a time, and learn what i can about it's maker, construction etc. my knowledge is very limited on badges. i learn as i go. my hat's off to those who have already figured out all the details.
    Andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assmann Aluminum Radio-Gunner Badge  

Luther
    ?

Hello Andrew,

Yes, all of it can, and is, be overwhelming.

Don't fret, even the most advanced collector's learn something new everyday...but I understand where you're coming from because $ is involved.

All any of us can do is to learn as much as we can, do a lot of looking and studying, and in the end, hope that with our "knowledge" we are purchasing an authentic Third Reich era item.

It's tough.

?

Luther, all we can do is try to learn as much as we can, and hope for the best from there.
    we need to be able to talk with other collectors like this. and talk about the way things were made. when i started 30 some years ago, there was no internet, and few refference books. about 20 years ago i stoped looking for things. had other priorities ( kids ) so for the last 20 years my interest comes and goes, and i do more reading than buying now.
    andrew