Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buyin some books, advice needed Please

Article about: hi guys looking at getting a couple of reference books, my main interest is, the Ironcross 1st by Dietrich Maerz, Luftwaffe & Heer Paratrooper Badges 1936-1945 by Thomas M. Durante, The

Default Buyin some books, advice needed Please

hi guys looking at getting a couple of reference books, my main interest is, the Ironcross 1st by Dietrich Maerz, Luftwaffe & Heer Paratrooper Badges 1936-1945 by Thomas M. Durante, The Knights Cross of the Iron Cross by Dietrich Maerz (as i will be buying a couple in the future)

was allso thinking of buying The Awards of the Heer, Vol. 1 by Dietrich Maerz and Bernd Hartmann, is this book any good or would i need a special book on each award?
    as it seems to cover quite a few and i will all ready have the Iron cross and Parrtrooper badge and heer, so would this book kinda of be a waste for me?

i have a interest in, Panzer AB, General AS, infantry AB

just a little unsure on what to get thanks in advance guys

Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Buyin some books, advice needed Please
    P
    Many

Can I suggest looking on abe books website. I've found a lot of reference books both new and secondhand there. For fair prices. Stewy

thanks ill check this out now
    Martin

MAP
    ?

The Awards of Heer is a good primer but in no way a detailed reference. It covers just the basics with very little information to detect fakes. I like the book but you need much more if you need to study in detail.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

thanks Michael thats what i was thinking, i will stick to one book on each award

Dietrich Maerz seems to do most of the books on these awards

Martin

MAP
    ?

Quote by ironcross13 View Post
    thanks Michael thats what i was thinking, i will stick to one book on each award

Dietrich Maerz seems to do most of the books on these awards

Martin
    Good choice. I was hoping for a bit more out of the Awards of Heer but when you are covering 15 to 20 awards, you can only detail so much. Not the fault of the authors as the focus of the book is basically an introduction to each badge. Why it was created, some basic details, the grades offered, the number awarded, known makers, post war "57" versions, the paperwork awarded with it and the packets/cases that they were issued in.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    The Awards of Heer is a good primer but in no way a detailed reference. It covers just the basics with very little information to detect fakes. I like the book but you need much more if you need to study in detail.

Michael
    I have that book and you're right Mike, it's O.K. but a bit lightweight when it comes to any detail. More of a very general introduction really and will not aid anyone looking for specific info on any particular award.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

Spot on Ned.

thanks guys so i take it my books on the EK1 and RK are good choices?

when i come to Panzer AB and General AB which book would be the best ?

Martin

Frank H's book on the GAB and Phil D's on the PAB.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast