Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Can anyone id this badge please?

Article about: Hello all. Would someone be kind enough to id this badge please. I've just got back from detecting on the site of an old pow camp. This was 3 inches down. On the reverse are the words "

Default Can anyone id this badge please?

Hello all. Would someone be kind enough to id this badge please. I've just got back from detecting on the site of an old pow camp. This was 3 inches down. On the reverse are the words "Wernstein Jena" and "DRGM" and some numbers which look like 35269. The numbers are tricky to read so might be wrong. The pin is missing. I've got a suspicion as to what this may be but if anyone can positively id it I'd be very grateful. All the best, Andy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0726.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	520137  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Can anyone id this badge please?

It's the silver grade of the Deutsches Reichssportabzeichen [German National Sports Badge]. The "DRL" cypher stands for "Deutscher Reichsausschuss für Leibesübungen" [German National Council for Physical Exercise]. This model of sports badge was introduced in 1935.

The Wernstein Company of Jena was the manufacturer. (It is the most common manufacturer of these badges.) DRGM stands for Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster [German Nationally Registered Design], followed by the design's registration number 35269.

No SS connection as such.

Oh, and the picture is upside down.

Thankyou very much, I'm very happy with it.

?

Hi Andy,

I've moved it to the correct forum. Can you flip the image and post on pf the back please?

DRL in silver here, just photographed upside down.

William Kramer
    Us and them - and after all we’re only ordinary men. Me, and you - God only knows it’s not what we would choose to do. Forward he cried from the rear, and the front rank died, and the general sat and the lines on the map moved from side to side.

- US & THEM, THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - PINK FLOYD

?

Sports Badge Nice Find Andy Well Done.