Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!

Article about: Hi, all. I am considering purchasing this cased mother's cross in gold (it will be my first Mutter Kreuz!) and just wanted to get some feedback on it before I went ahead with the purchase. I

Default Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!

Hi, all. I am considering purchasing this cased mother's cross in gold (it will be my first Mutter Kreuz!) and just wanted to get some feedback on it before I went ahead with the purchase. It looks good to me and seems in near mint condition except for the case. I am being offered it for $90 USD. I tried to take a lot of photos and in different lighting. What do you guys think? Anyone have any info or thoughts on the maker?

Thanks very much!
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!   Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!  

Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!   Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!  

Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!   Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cased Mutter Kreuz in Gold: Opinions Please!

I think it looks good to me, but wait for the opinions of others

Regards,
    Finn

?

I like it! The cross is in very good condition, the case is nice too - the odd minor scuff but that's to be expected over time.
    As always with these sets you can only guess the cross and case belong together. It's impossible to tell if they started out as a pair or have been put together over the last seventy odd years.
    Identifying Mutterkreuz to individual makers is very difficult as they aren't marked and the details on them are pretty much standard, unlike EKs for example where features vary from maker to maker.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree, both are in very good condition

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

very nice cross for a very nice price. i would grab it and run!

Thanks for the replies and feedback, guys I went ahead and got it and am very happy with it. Thought it was a very nice example at a very nice price. Yes, Adrian I suppose you're right...who knows if the case and the cross started out together and yes, it does seem it would be very difficult to determine makers on these crosses. Despite their being so uniform in appearance, just curious if there are any factors by which the expert might able to tell (probably without certainty) what maker a piece might be attributed to?

Thanks again, all!
    Best,
    Adam

I dont think there is anyway of knowing Adam.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Hello Adam,

There are indeed different makers. I have seen little deferences in the crosses. But as you said it is hard to trace. I do have a document somewhere from a makers catalog showing a Mothercross so different makers were definitely around you just can't find who made which.

About the crosses in the cases that is almost impossible. I always buy them with the idea the probably belong to each other but you never know. I once was at a dealer and he had 2 MK's in gold in case. One case had a nice cross the other one had a better case, so what he suggested me was to take the cross out of one box and put it in the other. He knew it was impossible to trace so this happens a lot. Unless you got them straight from the family it will always be a guess.

The best you can do is hope that they belong to each other, that's what I do with the 30 I have

Cheers,
    Rick

Hi, its a very nice example, 100% original, and it has a good price

?

Forgot to mention it is original and the price is not bad. It's not super cheap but it ain't expensive either. I like the maker of the case, it took me a while to get that one in my collection.