Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cased Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Just secured this SHuCo Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen . Medal looks good to me , I dont know about the case I would like you guys to give it a once over please Many thanks Nick

Default Re: Cased Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen

Norm has similar concerns as you Adrian, so I have asked Daniel for more pics etc

"It's a pretty badge but one I'm not sure about yet. The catch plate is not the right shape and the large squared flanges of the hinge are slightly atypical. Also the taper at the pin tip is not right. These anomalies combined with the unusually well-preserved gilding on the reverse have me wondering but it's awfully well made.

Can you provide some closeups of the hardware, wt, dimensions and whether the main pin is ferrous (attracts to magnet) or not?"
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cased Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

More pics from seller;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cased Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen   Cased Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen  

Cased Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I agree, the Kriegsmarine awards are (IMO) the best designed across the three branches.
    I completely agree. I am a fan of the flieger erinnerungsabzeichen and the erdkampfabzeichen though.

As far as Kriegsmarine badges go, I think the hilfskreuzer abzeichen takes the cake.

Yeah! Got the green light on the badge ! Its a goer

Norm's comments:

Nick's badge looks very nice (killer in fact), but I just thought it needs a bit more study because of a few "non-standard" features.

When you consider the classic common S.H.u.Co. Destroyers (like the three attached), you think of a hinge with either narrow or wide flanges, a rounded rectangular catch plate and a ferrous main pin. The location of the maker mark on the lower reverse varied all over the place which suggests either multiple reverse dies or the same reverse die mounted in slightly different locations for various production runs.

Nick's has an unusual oval catch plate which I hadn't yet seen and I believe the round-wire catch is also bent differently from usual. Also, the tapered tip of the main pin is non-standard. I found pics of another with example with very similar finish to Nick's, but with the maker mark shifted over and the usual standard catch, catch plate and hinge. Now I notice the main pin on that other example is unusually long, which makes me wonder if Nick's also used this unusually long pin stock originally and then the tip was snipped off to a normal length, resulting in the different tip taper.

?

Nick i think its a beauty!

Cheers,
    Ger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2