Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cholm Shield

Article about: Hi All! I would like to get your opinions on this Cholm arm shield.

?

Default Cholm Shield

Hi All!

I would like to get your opinions on this Cholm arm shield.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cholm Shield   Cholm Shield  

Cholm Shield   Cholm Shield  

Cholm Shield   Cholm Shield  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cholm Shield
    P
    Many

This IS an example of the 'Helmet Fake' shield that was referred to on this current thread.

Ratisbon's Cholm Shield

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Big Ned, So you think this one is bad?

Quote by Eike41 View Post
    Big Ned, So you think this one is bad?
    I know it's bad. Trust me.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Ned,

I appreciate your confidence and want to be as respectful as possible, but I purchased this shield last fall based on the following assessment of its authenticity:

Thoughts gents - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I am guessing that you think these fellows were all mistaken in their assessment of the shield?

Looks OK to me. The so called "Long M" version. It does have the die flaw on the swastika.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I did not mean to ambush anyone or set anyone up but I thought it would be a good idea to have some confirmation on this arm shield on this forum (that I Love). I thought I might sell it someday and if I did I would want to sell it here (not that other site that I am not a paying member of). Just goes to show how dicey all these items can be.

I find this topic interesting and would like to explore this further..

The members of the other forum all said it was an original, so with that said, I presume you still had some doubts of it being an original to post it here and ask the question?

I do not know the members on the other forum, although I am a member there, but only try to offer assistance in the US forums, but looking at the link to your posting on WAF I did not see any information from the members on there stating why they claim it is a good shield, who the maker was, details about the Eagle, the shield, the backing etc... on that forum, whereas on this forum here, BigNed has offered information to reveal that it is fake and in addition,,, a topic is ongoing specifically discussing the fakes encountered with this particular shield. I try to trust/rely on those who provide reason and learn from that information as I am sure you were doing the same when you reached out to the members on WAF, and to ask the question here...

Learning about the intricacies of collecting artifacts that are 70 plus years old helps me be better informed when I encounter these items for sale in places other than on line auction houses and other venues..

Someone posted in another topic on here that we are all collectors and we try to help others learn so they can keep their hard earned money..

Some will agree to disagree, that is the nature of the beast on any forum...

Knowledge is Power...

With that said... the limited information that I know about these awards is now outdated. I am a collector from the days when reference books printed in the 80's and earlier had good information but I will admit those books did have errors and mistakes... With the advent of the internet and thorough research being done on these pieces of history today I am now left questioning some of the pieces I have. At first I was a bit apprehensive about new information and research because I relied on the knowledge of those collectors of years gone by after talking with them and meeting them in person, now there is a new generation of authors and researchers, so I am open to hear what they have to say and from their experience providing information as to why they may feel a piece is fake...

Not taking any sides with this artifact as I am just trying to catch up on the last 30 years of information now available.. I have about 2000 books in my reference library, many now are so outdated I would be embarrassed to quote that I obtained information from them if I had doubts or suspicion that the information is wrong.. I am primarily a collector of American artifacts but through marriage I have inherited Third Reich artifacts and have also been given many artifacts from WW2 veterans.. (Not always a rock solid guarantee on authenticity I might add)

Didn't mean to ramble,, just trying to catch up on the lost years... 22 years of military service and other life events has put my collection on the back burner for a long time.. I have been kicking the dust off the boxes lately and have been asking lots of questions...

I guess you can refer to me as Rip Van Winkle,,,

Best regards and I hope that you will be able to gather information to either support your belief the piece is original or accept the possibility that with newer information revealed that the unfortunate truth is it is a fake...

Smitty

Hands up here, I have made a big mistake this time.

Seeing the pic's on my desk monitor the shield is good from what I can now see. As Ade mentions the flawed swastika is clearly visible, and that's a sign the shield is good as the helmet fake doesn't have it. I didn't notice it on my phone earlier today and hastily called it wrong instead of waiting to get home and look carefully. This is not the first time it's happened and I'm pretty browned off by my reckless and cavalier attitude earlier in the day.

This is embarrassing enough to me to actually hurt, lol. Putting it mildly, my cheeks are burning right now and I'm typing this with squinted eyes and through gritted teeth! All I can do is offer my sincere apologies and promise to try and be more dilligent next time.

Regards, Ned.

I think you are a GOOD man Ned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast