Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Condor Legion - Tank Assault Badge

Article about: A friend today showed me this Condor Legion Tank Assault Badge and as some of the forum know, military badges are totally outside my scope of collecting and knowledge. May I have your commen

Default Condor Legion - Tank Assault Badge

A friend today showed me this Condor Legion Tank Assault Badge and as some of the forum know, military badges are totally outside my scope of collecting and knowledge.

May I have your comments as to whether the badge is an original example or not?

Thankyou in anticipation.

Regards,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Condor Legion - Tank Assault Badge
    P
    Many

Hi David, I am certain it is bad.

Pin and detail is lacking.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Although never having handled a genuine one of these, I would concur with our dear leader regarding the lack of detail to the badge in general, the tank especially concerns me where it appears to be 'cut down' in the rear decking area, and the overall softness of the wreath doesn't engender much confidence.

The rear set up is difficult for me as I understand that these badges were often given out originally without a rear set up, they were either added at the recipients behest or even just sowed directly to the uniform. Only later when these were produced in Germany after they became officially sanctioned did they all gain a hardware rear set up. These can vary considerably as such, including wide pin set up and a Weidmann 'lily pad' type amongst others.

Considering only 415 of these were awarded, then the total of originals must be reasonably finite, yet there are many thousands out there on the market of varying degrees of quality, so it's difficult unless you've studied one with genuine provenance in cases where the fakes are of a good quality.

The one above in my opinion is not a particularly good one due to the points Ade and I have raised, and here's some photo's of known genuine badges for comparison. I have deliberatley not shown the reverse as there is so many different set ups as i've already tried to explain.

Regards, Ned.

Condor Legion - Tank Assault BadgeCondor Legion - Tank Assault Badge
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Although never having handled a genuine one of these, I would concur with our dear leader regarding the lack of detail to the badge in general, the tank especially concerns me where it appears to be 'cut down' in the rear decking area, and the overall softness of the wreath doesn't engender much confidence.

The rear set up is difficult for me as I understand that these badges were often given out originally without a rear set up, they were either added at the recipients behest or even just sowed directly to the uniform. Only later when these were produced in Germany after they became officially sanctioned did they all gain a hardware rear set up. These can vary considerably as such, including wide pin set up and a Weidmann 'lily pad' type amongst others.

Considering only 415 of these were awarded, then the total of originals must be reasonably finite, yet there are many thousands out there on the market of varying degrees of quality, so it's difficult unless you've studied one with genuine provenance in cases where the fakes are of a good quality.

The one above in my opinion is not a particularly good one due to the points Ade and I have raised, and here's some photo's of known genuine badges for comparison. I have deliberatley not shown the reverse as there is so many different set ups as i've already tried to explain.

Regards, Ned.

Condor Legion - Tank Assault BadgeCondor Legion - Tank Assault Badge
    I think these have given the badge in the OP the kiss of death!...

A big thankyou chaps and a special thankyou to Ned for the most detailed explanation and of course, the images.

This badge is not mine and as such and as you know, I am not promoting it. Instead, a favour for a good friend.

Perhaps the issue may be finally resolved with better images on my part, although having said that, I do see quite distinct differences between those (images), that both Ned and I posted.

As before, this is not my badge and instead, I am just helping a good friend.

Better images to follow.

Regards and best wishes,

David

From what I remember, a crucial factor is how the long bones are attached to the wreath, and the thread starter is wrong, though to be honest I would have to go away and do some research to clarify what I mean. I commented in some detail on one of these previously but cannot find the thread.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry,

I believe you're right, from what I understand there were at least two types of badge, each slightly different from the other regarding the bones being cut out or not, that's why I showed both types above but forgot to mention it. There's also a difference in the skull having a partial jawbone in some cases too from what little i've gathered.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Jerry,

I believe you're right, from what I understand there were at least two types of badge, each slightly different from the other regarding the bones being cut out or not, that's why I showed both types above but forgot to mention it. There's also a difference in the skull having a partial jawbone in some cases too from what little i've gathered.
    Ned, I also think with some of the more obvious duffers the Tank is connected to the skull which again is not good. It was a while back when I spent some time researching these, as we would all love to have an original, or certainly I would, even now with my changed interests.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I've got the cased 16mm miniature from the German veteran...But I'll probably never be able to afford the full-size award...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Condor Legion - Tank Assault Badge   Condor Legion - Tank Assault Badge  

Condor Legion - Tank Assault Badge  

Nice one Glenn, that's the coolest TR pin i've seen, thaks for showing it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast