Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Dating a Deutsches Reichs-Sport-Abzeichen (DRA) Badge?

Article about: I recently purchased a Bronze DRA badge and the markings on the back have me a little confused and I was wondering if someone could help. As far as I can tell, the DRA badge was first issued

Default Dating a Deutsches Reichs-Sport-Abzeichen (DRA) Badge?

I recently purchased a Bronze DRA badge and the markings on the back have me a little confused and I was wondering if someone could help. As far as I can tell, the DRA badge was first issued for the 1913 Summer Olympics and was replaced by the DRL badge in 1934. The badge which I own (the back is photographed below) is marked by "Eugen Marcus - Hofjuwelier" and his address is given as "Berlin W.8. U.D. Linden 81".

My question refers to the name markings. Was the title "Hofjuwelier", meaning court-jeweler, used after the first world war and the departure of the Kaiser, or was this title abolished along with the notion of a royal court?

In my mind, either Marcus continued using old dies to cast these badges during the Weimar/Early Third Reich Era or this is an example of a WW1 or Olympic era Bronze DRA Badge.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Also, this is my first post on the warrelics forum and would like to extend the warmest greetings to the community, and I hope I can contribute to it somewhat in the future

Last edited by Jonathan Wenberg; 01-09-2013 at 02:53 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dating a Deutsches Reichs-Sport-Abzeichen (DRA) Badge?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Dating a Deutsches Reichs-Sport-Abzeichen (DRA) Badge?

Hi Jonathan and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for posting your question. I can't answer it myself as these awards are outside of my knowledge but I'm sure someone will be along to help out shortly. It might help if you can post a photo of the obverse of the badge too.

I will also direct you to this thread which has alot of good information about these badges: Deutsche Sportsabzeichen.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: Dating a Deutsches Reichs-Sport-Abzeichen (DRA) Badge?

Hi Adrian,

I have posted the obverse of the badge for viewing. Thank you for the link, it certainly shed some light on the history of these sports badges and there were plenty of photographs to examine, many by Wernstein, who appears to have been the most popular manufacturer of the DRA and DRL badges.

Jonathan