Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Demjansk 1942 Shield, opinions please?

Article about: Hi guys, what are your views? I have compared that with good ones and seems to be fine, nevertheless would appreciate if you could let me know what do you think, Regards, Juan

Default Demjansk 1942 Shield, opinions please?

Hi guys, what are your views? I have compared that with good ones and seems to be fine, nevertheless would appreciate if you could let me know what do you think, Regards, Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Demjansk 1942 Shield, opinions please?   Demjansk 1942 Shield, opinions please?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Demjansk 1942 Shield, opinions please?
    P
    Many

No. This is another Serif 'J' fake. Note that the reverse side has white rust that shows that it's made from zinc, as are all Serif 'J' fakes, when in fact ALL known genuine Demjansk Shields were made from steel sheet.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

You may wish to compare...

Thanks guys, something new I learnt today

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    You may wish to compare...

To be honest there is no comparison here as the original shield above is a type 4.4, whereas the Serif 'J' fake is based on the original type 4.5. The two shields are completely different if examined closely; it would be like trying to compare a Zimmermann EK1 with a Juncker cross, pointless to put it bluntly.

Sorry if this offends, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

No offence taken Ned. I was meaning to indicate the material of construction. Note on my shield the small section of missing plating on the right hand shield border just above the level where the swords cross, clearly revealing sheet steel.

Mind you, while you are obviously an Obi-Wan Ned-Obi of Demjansk shields, would you happen to know the manufacturer of my type 4.4? I've never found any information other than 'unknown'.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post

Mind you, while you are obviously an Obi-Wan Ned-Obi of Demjansk shields, would you happen to know the manufacturer of my type 4.4? I've never found any information other than 'unknown'.
    Hi Glenn,

Well, it does appear that there are a dearth of members who feel they can comment with much certainty on these, so I just try to pass on what knowledge I have gleaned in the hope it may assist those who have an interest, however slight.

But perhaps bearing in mind your rather patronising words above, I shall step back from commenting on these and other campaign shields and leave it to you and others to give an analysis in future. As for your shield, the information you have gleaned is, as far as is currently known, correct.

Regards, Ned.

Cheers Ned. Apologies if my post came across as patronizing, I was aiming for humour!