Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Der Deutschen Mutter - Authentic?

Article about: Hello, My aunt has picked this gem up in auction. From what I could Google up of originals, this seems legit, but I wanted your thoughts on it, please. Thank you!

Default Der Deutschen Mutter - Authentic?

Hello,

My aunt has picked this gem up in auction. From what I could Google up of originals, this seems legit, but I wanted your thoughts on it, please.

Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Der Deutschen Mutter - Authentic?   Der Deutschen Mutter - Authentic?  

Last edited by Adrian; 03-03-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Photo rotated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Der Deutschen Mutter - Authentic?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Der Deutschen Mutter - Authentic?

Straight on, vertical photos would help. Although I am not liking this one.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

To me , the edges and the engraving look too soft. The swaz is also not centered/aligned.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Thanks guys, anyone have a high res verified original to compare? These were originally stamped, correct?

?

Hello Heinrich, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting!

Unfortunately i have to agree with the guys above, this is a fake cross. The enamelling should be translucent and show pebbling or stippling underneath the blue area. The quality of enamel doesn't match original crosses and the star burst around the central circle is too soft and lacks the additional lines between the five main rays in each quadrant.
    From the back you can see the trimming outline is too soft, not sharp as on original crosses, the inscription is also too soft and some of the letters are misformed and again, don't match original examples.

I've attached a couple of photos of some crosses in my collection for you to compare the above points.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Der Deutschen Mutter - Authentic?   Der Deutschen Mutter - Authentic?  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adrian, you've got a fantastic collection, thanks for the insight! I'm bummed it's not real, but stil learned something new, I suppose

?

Don't worry too much about it not being a good one. There are plenty out there at reasonable prices and if you use the forum to look up originals you will know what to look for.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Welcome to the forum Heinrich,

Unfortunately, the item you have posted is a replica piece. The reasons are stated above, i.e. soft detail, lack of pebbling on the obverse and lack of sharpness on the reverse. However, it is better to know the truth, and at least it didn't cost a lot of money! Some mistakes can really hurt, believe me I know, but for future reference, remember to post pictures of any item that you are not sure about (before buying / bidding). Somebody on here will likely be able to help you out.

Regards,

Carl

Hi Heinrich, you are unlucky as these were not prolifically faked. There are many good quality ones around. These are beautiful items at low cost. Good luck with your search.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem