Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Deutsche Akademie für Luftfahrtforschung.

Article about: I would appreciate it if anyone can ID this award for me? Photos are not the best, but all that I have at the moment. All that I know about this is that it apears to be of sliver and has the

Matthew - excellent comparison pics. The differences
    between the two are quite plain, and not just the
    areas you've circled.........
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsche Akademie für Luftfahrtforschung.
    P
    Many

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    "very few, if any, have the true expertise to make qualified determinations."

Then why have you come here? A tad bit on the derogatory,no?
    Sorry Wagriff, I might ask you the same questions, however I shall stand by my statement.

I have been in this area of collecting for many years and have experienced much, both good and bad, experiencing some who's opinion I greatly respect, then there are those who in a few words have twenty years solid experience and others who have one years experience twenty times. Nothing derogatory intended.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Logically speaking, it's very likely that as only a relatively small number of these badges were produced by a single maker, each award should be virtually identical and any pieces that err from the accepted and acknowledged originals should be treated as fakes.
    I would think that the only true one to make a comparison to would be one that may still be in the possession of a family of one of the original recipients.

However, as I am of the understanding, several excellent quality copies (not fakes) were produced during the 80's, and hold a high value to collectors that will never see, hold or have a presented one in their collection; or could afford one. I know that I am happy that this specimen came my way, and isn't that all that really matters?

I for one would truly appreciate knowing exactly how many members here either have a presented specimen or an excellent 80's copy in their collection; and who are commenting here on the validity and making comparisons? Just for information of course; it would be an interesting statistic.

What's truly strange, some will respond only to what I state, adding nothing to be of any help, but when I post something that will be of definite help for collectors; the chart of measurements is an excellent example, no one comments on it.

My reason for being here should be quite apparent by now....." I might ask you the same questions", certainly no way to read that as being derogatory....you're right.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I was hoping you might tell us how your example measures up compared to what the chart from Christopher Ailsby says it should?

Do you think your piece is original?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Deutsche Akademie für Luftfahrtforschung.
    I was hoping you might tell us how your example measures up compared to what the chart from Christopher Ailsby says it should?

Do you think your piece is original?
    To question #1: Have not yet taken any measurements, awaiting delivery of a digital caliper so as to make extremely accurate measurements of the specimen.

To question #2: As I had previously stated, I'm happy with it and that is all that really matters; would you not agree?

BTW, excellent questions Adrian.

?

Haha!

Absolutely, if you're happy then it makes no difference to anyone else but it would be nice for people reading the thread to be given all the details with which to make an informed decision as whether they think it is pre 1945 made or not.

Does you being happy with the piece mean you think it's original?

Haha!

Absolutely, if you're happy then it makes no difference to anyone else but it would be nice for people reading the thread to be given all the details with which to make an informed decision as whether they think it is pre 1945 made or not.

Does you being happy with the piece mean you think it's original?
    50/50 ; If you recall earlier I stated that excellent copies were made in the 80's, and should this prove to be one then it would be a welcome addition for any collectors archive; especially since very few could afford to own an original presentation piece. I'm leaning toward this specimen to be of bronze metal as it is completely non-magnetic, including the pin. I have ruled out silver.

?

It would definitely be a niche collector who would want one. They are an unusual award that not many collectors are aware of.

Just some food for thought.

I had mentioned earlier that an important factor to consider when it comes to stampings is that where human hands are involved, human errors occur. These errors may be unintential for many reasons; there may also be the rare occasion when a stamping error is intentional, again for varied reasons.

A good example of and intentional error or? is that a phonograph record producer of vinyl records here in the U.S. was producing a Beatles record and the standard color that was to be used was black. He decided to produce one in red vinyl for his personal collection. I personally know the collector who eventually was purchasing, along with a partner, this red record for a six figure amount.

I mention this only because a worker in a badge producer could do a similar thing by making a badge for himself and simply just stamping the manufacturers mark, and not other markings; or not stamping any markings. This would not constitute an issued badge, but nevertheless it would still be a period made piece.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast