Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsche Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (west wall medal) ribbon size question

Article about: Hi everyone, I have two of these medals, one an early bronze example and the other a later issue in bronze-plated zinc. Not only do the ribbon colors differ in value, but the early one is on

Default Deutsche Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (west wall medal) ribbon size question

Hi everyone,

I have two of these medals, one an early bronze example and the other a later issue in bronze-plated zinc. Not only do the ribbon colors differ in lightness/value, but the early one is on a 25mm ribbon while the later one is on a 30mm ribbon.

Given their origin, I have no reason to doubt that the ribbons have been with their respective medals for a while (they passed the black light and burn tests, so I think they are pre-1945 but can not be certain... maybe someone here can tell by the detail photo). Were these medals actually issued wih the 25mm ribbon? Almost all of them I see for sale have the 30mm ribbon.

Best regards,

G. KellyDeutsche Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (west wall medal) ribbon size questionDeutsche Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (west wall medal) ribbon size question
    Last edited by 3986QMTC; 01-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsche Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (west wall medal) ribbon size question
    P
    Many

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the poor quality of the earlier photos. The ones herein are much clearer.

As can be seen, the 25mm ribbon on the early bronze version (left) has a more "orange" but not truly orange hue. Should I be concerened about the originality of this as well as the fact that it is a 25mm ribbon and not a 30mm ribbon?

Best regards,

G. Kelly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsche Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (west wall medal) ribbon size question   Deutsche Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (west wall medal) ribbon size question  

Both of the ribbons appear to be okay to me.
    I can only suggest that one of the ribbons was originally intended to be used for a ribbon bar, or a parade mount like this one.
    Ralph.

Deutsche Schutzwall Ehrenzeichen (west wall medal) ribbon size question
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Both of the ribbons appear to be okay to me.
    I can only suggest that one of the ribbons was originally intended to be used for a ribbon bar, or a parade mount like this one.
    Ralph.
    Thank you for the reply! I am glad that you also believe the ribbons appear to be original pre-1945. The colors on these seem to vary quite a bit.

I think you are probably right about the original purpose of the 25mm ribbon. I remember seeing a few medals with 25mm ribbons used in place of 30mm ribbons when we kids would dig them out and look at them, but it was uncommon. My guess is that many decorations made their way to the US with whatever ribbon was at hand in 1945 and 1946.

Best regards,

G. Kelly