Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.

Article about: by Glenn66 Some days it is very like the WAF here... Heaven forbid. Let us always remember: Without eternal vigilance, it can happen here!

Default Re: Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    First time i've seen one too, anyone know the history on these awards? Numbers awarded and conditions for award etc?
    The Verdienstorden vom Deutschen Adler [Order of Merit of the German Eagle], usually referred to as the Deutscher Adlerorden [German Eagle Order] was instituted by a decree of 1 May 1937.

It was created to solve the problem that, prior to this, the German Reich had no designated order to present to foreigners, which was problematic in the political/diplomatic relations with foreign nations, especially since foreign decorations were bestowed on German dignitaries, while the Reich was unable to "return the favor".
    (This problem was "inherited" from Weimar Germany; the Weimar Republic did not award orders, decorations and titles and did not allow its citizens to except foreign ones.)

The order was exclusively awarded to non-Germans. On the principle of mutuality, it was not to be awarded to citizens of nations that did not bestow decorations on German citizens.

Originally, the order had 5 classes and an associated medal. In 1939 and 1943, this was modified and expanded; the final sequence was:

• Goldenes Großkreuz des Deutschen Adlerordens [Golden Grand Cross of the German Eagle Order] (= Sash and golden eight-pointed breast star)
    • Großkreuz des Deutschen Adlerordens [Grand Cross of the German Eagle Order] (= sash and eight-pointed breast star) (Mussolini was presented with a unique, diamond-studded version.)
    • Deutscher Adlerorden erster Klasse [German Eagle Order First Class] (= sash and eight-pointed breast star)
    • Deutscher Adlerorden zweiter Klasse [German Eagle Order Second Class] (neck cross and six-pointed breast star)
    • Deutscher Adlerorden dritter Klasse [German Eagle Order Third Class] (= neck cross)
    • Deutscher Adlerorden vierter Klasse [German Eagle Order Fourth Class] (= pinback cross)
    • Deutscher Adlerorden fünfter Klasse [German Eagle Order Fifth Class] (= cross on ribbon)
    • Deutsche Silberne Verdienstmedaille [German Silver Medal of Merit] (= medal)
    • Deutsche Bronzene Verdienstmedaille [German Bronze Medal of Merit] (= medal)

...all of which could be awarded without swords for civilian merit or mit Schwertern [with Swords] for military merit, the swords having been added in 1939.

Also created in 1939, the Goldenes Großkreuz des Deutschen Adlerordens was categorized as the Sonderstufe [Special Class] of the Order; conferral was limited to 16 persons at any time. (Awardees included such names as Generalissimo Franco, Czar Boris III. of Bulgaria, Admiral Horthy or Dr. Tiso.) The German Foreign Minister and the Reichsprotektor in Böhmen and Mähren also put on the Special Class on appropriate occasions (as the only Germans to wear this order).

1943 saw the partial re-naming of the classes to the final version listed above and the institution of the Bronze Medal.

Which class was awarded depended not only on the degree of merit, but - following time-honored tradition of such international conferrals - primarily on the awardee's position and status.
    In diplomatic/political relations, the Grand Cross was typically awarded to ministers and ambassadors. (Other noted recipients of the Grand Cross were Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh.) The Bronze Medal could even be awarded to "Eastern Workers".

For members of the armed forces, the class awarded depended on rank. Wehrmacht guidelines made this classification:

• Großkreuz des Deutschen Adlerordens: Field Marshals, highest-ranking Generals, Grand Admirals, highest-ranking Admirals
    • Deutscher Adlerorden erster Klasse: Commanding Generals, Admirals
    • Deutscher Adlerorden zweiter Klasse Lieutenant Generals, Major Generals, Vice Admirals, Rear Admirals
    • Deutscher Adlerorden dritter Klasse: Colonels, Lieutenant Colonels, Navy Captains, Commanders
    • Deutscher Adlerorden vierter Klasse: Majors, Lieutenant Commanders
    • Deutscher Adlerorden fünfter Klasse: Army Captains, Army and Navy Lieutenants
    • Deutsche Silberne Verdienstmedaille : NCOs
    • Deutsche Bronzene Verdienstmedaille: Other ranks

Sorry, I have no award numbers.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 07-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.
    P
    Many

Thank you!

you beat me to it.Thank you i was not looking forward to typing that lot off the wiki link page.
    thats it in a nut shell .you need to understand the the 37-39 orders first to understand this set up.
    The now 3rd class was the 1st class this was a neck order .The now 2nd class being a small brest star becomming 4th and so on.
    The only diffrence between the 37-43 and 43-45 are the makers number appearing on the latter.
    Marked to the ring or pin with the now 5th class it is marked to the top of the fan.all boxes are marked according to their grade at whatever time they were awarded.
    also with the down grading of the first and so on Godet as these were only made by ( well to date so far ) brought out an award that could just be purchased,not awarded if you wished these would be marked 900 with an LDO mark of L/50 this was Godets varient number.These awards were the same in every way appart from 50 not 21.
    Now just a little mention but the first neck orders ,the verly early 37 ones didnt have a fan on the top.They changed the design very early on with this design.Not sure why but i colud track that one down.I have seen pictures before .
    regards Pete

sorry typing error.
    I said to understand the 37-39 orders ////i ment the 37-43 orders
    Also just to confirm as of yet i dont think there are any known numbers of this award .As these were given by the state the documents may well have been destroyed in there (hurried) clean up of evidence

Ok you saw the fake with all the obvious horrible points raised .Here is the original of that award .
    This is in the orders of 37-43 .as you will see only the 900 is present please note how tghe eagles are identical to the first one posted.
    All Godet eagles are like this as with the slightley in-laid enamel as well spoted by Adrian.
    Also please note the pin hinge and catch are also identical as with tha floorless enamel to the cross.
    Hope you enjoy this as there will be more to come only if you wish.Regards Pete
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.   Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.  

Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.   Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.  

Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.   Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.  

Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.  

Is Helmut aware he has a fake on his site?

One has only to look at the eagles and the swords to see the Quality of this gorgeous award. No faker's going to match That! A Superb example of a horrendously rare badge. Thank you for posting and, yes-absolutely post more!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

its a lovely badge,

?

Ok, here is the award from Weitze's site.

Now the question is, can anyone tell me why this award is a fake and why Pete's are the real thing or vice versa?
    I don't mean listing the 'spot the differences' but explain why the differences make one a fake and one original.
    Do the differences make one good or one bad?
    How do we know they're not both good or both bad?
    Can anyone post a period image of one? An image from a period catalogue?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.   Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern und Schwerten.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Well its quite simple simple to see i think .Both of my items i have posted clearly display the same rivets hinges pins catches.
    This type is of Godet .Godet being the only maker of these awards.Also have a look at Detlev Niemann book 3rd edition and you will see plenty there Godet that is.
    Please have a look at various Godet pieces of the top end .I have Enamled red cross brest crosses by Godet if you wish to see some more clasic Godet set up if you want Adrain.
    Regards Pete

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast