Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deutsches Kreuz Genuine or Fake

Article about: Hi Guys, Would like your help on this German Cross in Gold. I am thinking of buying it, but thought I would check with the people that know first. Regards, Shane

Default Deutsches Kreuz Genuine or Fake

Deutsches Kreuz Genuine or FakeDeutsches Kreuz Genuine or FakeDeutsches Kreuz Genuine or FakeDeutsches Kreuz Genuine or FakeHi Guys,
    Would like your help on this German Cross in Gold. I am thinking of buying it, but thought I would check with the people that know first.

Regards,
    Shane

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Kreuz Genuine or Fake
    P
    Many

There are several very fine awards of this type shown in threads. What is Your opinion of it? Have you compared them to photos and descriptions shown here?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    There are several very fine awards of this type shown in threads. What is Your opinion of it? Have you compared them to photos and descriptions shown here?
    Do you have an objective opinion on it William??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I am not an expert on these so it is just my opinion. I think the quality is lacking and the patina looks faked. Others with much more knowledge will be along.
    John

Yes,Ned, I do.....but I was more interested in seeing what He thought of it...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

It's a fake but also do some research about the German Cross.
    Not only to be able to spot a fake but to find out what type you might want to purchase.
    Maybe you want to purchase an earlier one as opposed to a later war type.
    Also what maker you might prefer.
    And these things are so pricey that you really don't want to make a mistake.

Agree with last 2 posts. Research is available. If you don't want to invest in a reference book...(for $100 might be wise if looking to buy a $3K badge)..here is a site that shows many. Germanwarbooty.com & go to his archives section where he lists, describes, photographs many of these. Make a comparison, then show it here for approval. This way you have some knowledge of what you are dealing with before you get here. Makes it easy on members here

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Yes,Ned, I do.....but I was more interested in seeing what He thought of it...
    I'm just guessing he's fairly new to the hobby and was asking for opinions. Several have already been voiced but the precise details, for good or bad have not yet been addressed.

To be fair, this isn't a bad attempt at copying a Zimmermann (20) 'Light' DK, and has the potential to fool some collectors who may be more experienced than him. For those not fairly well versed in the nuances and minutae this type of fake could, and has proven many times before to have been an expensive mistake for some otherwise fairly seasoned chaps looking to add to their collection.

Generally the reason these are posted is because they are priced so as to appear a bargain, and that's what reels 'em in, too often buying without checking the details carefully. Luckily the new member has asked first, so that's a good start from him to growing a collection of genuine TR awards, medals or whatever items from across the wide range enveloped in this hobby.

So with that.

Wreath, starburst plate, back plate are incorrect for this maker.

So is the hardware, hinge, pin catch, all of it.

The maker mark and rivets are close to being correct, but not close enough to being right.

It would be interesting to know what price this is being offered at, or if at auction what it eventually sells for.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Agree with last 2 posts. Research is available. If you don't want to invest in a reference book...(for $100 might be wise if looking to buy a $3K badge)..here is a site that shows many. Germanwarbooty.com & go to his archives section where he lists, describes, photographs many of these. Make a comparison, then show it here for approval. This way you have some knowledge of what you are dealing with before you get here. Makes it easy on members here
    Alternately you coulds forget JT's site and just do a forum search here on WRF. There's far more concise and illuminating information (10 pages in fact ) regarding good or bad DK's in this archive than can be gleaned from any dealer website, and that's why I recommend it wholeheartedly.

https://www.warrelics.eu/google.php?...12j20868122j23

Regards, Ned.

I would not forget any available information if I were ready to drop possibly $3K on a badge I am unfamiliar with. Knowledge is power to buy & we can never get enough of it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast