Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Article about: Hello, I am considering buying this cross but before I spend what will be the most I have ever spent on a single item, I would like to be absolutely sure beyond any reasonable doubt that thi

Default Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Hello,

I am considering buying this cross but before I spend what will be the most I have ever spent on a single item, I would like to be absolutely sure beyond any reasonable doubt that this is a good war time piece. Obviously it is supposed to be a 6 rivet Deschler and to me it mostly looks like it is, however the pictures are not great and I have not looked at enough known good examples to be sure. My biggest issue or at least the one that I got hung up on first, is the date and more specifically the "9". Deschler crosses have what I would call very round and plump 9's and this one looks a little funny at the bottom where the 9 sweeps to the end towards the first digit. I think this may be do to the angle of the photo and shadowing. Mostly the detail in the wreath and the way the swastika points into it at the top wreath where the ribbon crosses look right. The hardware also looks correct in my opinion as do the rivets.

The pictures are bad and I did my best to edit them to bring out some of the detail although again I'm not confident this was enough to authenticate. Before purchasing this cross I will have it in hand and I will make comparison to the crosses in Dietrich's book along with photo's I have in my database.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Kirby Name:  22german cross twins 006.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  153.0 KBName:  111german cross twins 007.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  65.6 KBName:  Bgerman cross twins 007.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  48.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D1 reflector,  German Cross 023.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	777444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D reflector,  German Cross 019.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	777445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D reflector,  German Cross 018.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	777446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D reflector,  German Cross 017 (1).JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	777447

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hi Kirby,

It looks like it may be o.k., I think it's pertaining to be a 6 rivet heavy type with the short pin (but that isn't shown) so let's wait until you've got it in hand and re photographed because quite frankly these pic's are crap. Then it'll be an easy call.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I am liking it. but better pics to be sure.

Hi Harry & Ned,

I appreciate the input! I should have this in hand on Tuesday and if no red flags present themselves I will probably bring it home. I am buying it from a local dealer who I believe stands behind what he sells, however, if he does not offer a inspection period or guarantee authenticity I will leave it and seek another cross.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this I would love to hear it.

Thanks Very Much!

Kirby

Hi guys,

I am told, by someone who knows a lot more about these than I do, this cross is a fake. Bummer!
    So the search will continue............

Thanks Again!
    Kirby