Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold Stoffausführung

Article about: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold Stoffausführung German Cross in gold - cloth Regards JT

Default Re: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold Stoffausführung

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Aaah! Got you now.

I saw the date as having a flaw.
    I can see what you mean Adrian, I guess it could be construed as having a couple of 'dings' on the '9' if that's what you've got in mind of course. I took that as being a bit of flash reflection, as all the other numbers and parts of the leaves and wreath sash appear to have a similar shine in places, for want of a better word! You may well be right, it's worth looking into!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Here's a good close-up of the die flaw in one of my Kreigsmarine one's
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture%20448ooooooooooooooo.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	410437  

Quote by big ned View Post
    There's no problem with this one. It's known as the 'Blue-Grey without Date Flaw', there's one been on GCA recently.
    I think the example posted has a large die flaw on it.

regardless, an authentic piece.

William Kramer
    Us and them - and after all we’re only ordinary men. Me, and you - God only knows it’s not what we would choose to do. Forward he cried from the rear, and the front rank died, and the general sat and the lines on the map moved from side to side.

- US & THEM, THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - PINK FLOYD

Quote by all1knew View Post
    I think the example posted has a large die flaw on it.

regardless, an authentic piece.

William Kramer
    I've been looking at this again today and have to change my opinion, I believe you're right! What i've found is that the wreath on the original cross posted here is made by Junker. As production increased the die became increasingly worn in the area of the date flaw. Below is a comparison of three different Junker wreaths I have found to show this flaw sequentially as it became more and more pronounced. Pretty interesting I reckon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	juncker late copy copy.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	412057  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Great detective work. After your three comparison's it most certainly shows the die wear and possibly mishandling. As a former machinist die casts have a tendency to get worn or bunged up after repeated use. When i look at Ned's last two comparisons on the "9" i see something other that die wear. The last "9" has a pretty significant change in it. I would say this could be from a drop or other various means to ding the die. That's what i see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12