Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsches Olympia Ehrenzeichen Zweiter Klasse, opinions needed please!

Article about: Hey guys, I have been offered this medal for sale. I am well aware that there are a number of fakes of this item. I do not believe this item to be genuine because the '6' in '1936' seems to

Default Deutsches Olympia Ehrenzeichen Zweiter Klasse, opinions needed please!

Hey guys,

I have been offered this medal for sale. I am well aware that there are a number of fakes of this item.

I do not believe this item to be genuine because the '6' in '1936' seems to be very blobby and the detail is lacking on the eagle.

Am I correct in saying this?

Thank you, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Olympia Ehrenzeichen Zweiter Klasse, opinions needed please!   Deutsches Olympia Ehrenzeichen Zweiter Klasse, opinions needed please!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Olympia Ehrenzeichen Zweiter Klasse, opinions needed please!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Deutsches Olympia Ehrenzeichen Zweiter Klasse, opinions needed please!

Quote by Glennyboy619 View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been offered this medal for sale. I am well aware that there are a number of fakes of this item.

I do not believe this item to be genuine because the '6' in '1936' seems to be very blobby and the detail is lacking on the eagle.

Am I correct in saying this?

Thank you, Glen.

Hey Glenn,
    Check my one to compare, a few weeks ago I picked one up and Ned explained in detail to someone the things to look out for.
    I shall try to dig the post out.

Default Re: Deutsches Olympia Ehrenzeichen Zweiter Klasse, opinions needed please!

I found it and to quote what ned said on mine

The reason the lettering is of a slightly 'untidy' appearance is that it was hand chased into the original die and not done using stamp letters or machinery. This is one of the key points to look for in an original. If the letters are in neat rows and uniform, beware! The last letter 'E' in "Verdienstvolle" is also a good tell. Note the longer middle line in the horizontal lines of the letter, that's a sign of a good 'un, fakes are all the same length.

On the obverse, always look for the circular lines within the rings, another good sign that fakes don't possess, and how the bottom loop of the number '9' doesn't quite join the downward line, another sign of a genuine piece that the fakers have missed.

There are other red flags like a scrawny neck with a pigeon's head on the eagle and often signs of casting flash on the rim, even if filed off, that should not be there.

there's your answer.ok

Quote by daniel1234 View Post
    I found it and to quote what ned said on mine

The reason the lettering is of a slightly 'untidy' appearance is that it was hand chased into the original die and not done using stamp letters or machinery. This is one of the key points to look for in an original. If the letters are in neat rows and uniform, beware! The last letter 'E' in "Verdienstvolle" is also a good tell. Note the longer middle line in the horizontal lines of the letter, that's a sign of a good 'un, fakes are all the same length.

On the obverse, always look for the circular lines within the rings, another good sign that fakes don't possess, and how the bottom loop of the number '9' doesn't quite join the downward line, another sign of a genuine piece that the fakers have missed.

There are other red flags like a scrawny neck with a pigeon's head on the eagle and often signs of casting flash on the rim, even if filed off, that should not be there.
    Hey Daniel,

Thank you for your help!

Now I think I will reconsider my earlier statement.
    My example appears to have the uneven text on the reverse.
    The 'E' in my example is also longer.
    My example also has lines within the rings.
    There is no scrawny neck or pigeon's head.
    Am I right in saying that mine is an original then?

Thank you, Glen.

Quote by Glennyboy619 View Post
    Hey Daniel,

Thank you for your help!

Now I think I will reconsider my earlier statement.
    My example appears to have the uneven text on the reverse.
    The 'E' in my example is also longer.
    My example also has lines within the rings.
    There is no scrawny neck or pigeon's head.
    Am I right in saying that mine is an original then?

Thank you, Glen.
    Did Rose Kennedy own a black dress?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.