Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Deutsches rotes kreuz bludspender awards

Article about: These are not mine, and I have no intent to buy them should they even be for sale. However, I have not seen these before, and the owner has asked me to post the following images just for you

?

Default Deutsches rotes kreuz bludspender awards

These are not mine, and I have no intent to buy them should they even be for sale. However, I have not seen these before, and the owner has asked me to post the following images just for your perusal. He acquired them from the widow of a collector who concentrated on worldwide Red Cross and blood donor badges and awards. These, he was told, were possibly prototypes that never went into production. Having had them in hand, I can say that they are quite heavy. As the images show, various markings depict quantities (possibly litres donated...?)on the different classes, and the reverses are marked L63(?). Has anybody ever seen anything like these before, or does anybody know any information about them?

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC15381.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	406715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC15383.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	406716  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC15385.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	406717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC15387.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	406718  

Name:	SDC15389.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	406719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC15395.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	406720  

Name:	SDC15397.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	406721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC15399.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	406722  

Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

www.concentrationcamptours.com

www.concentrationcampmoney.com

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Deutsches rotes kreuz bludspender awards

I have seen these blood donating badges before but they aren't that common, or should I say desireable(?) unless you're a DRK collector. I have no idea about these being original or if they are prototypes.

I'm always a bit sceptical of 'prototypes' as this is term often used to describe fakes and fantasy items and it makes me think the collector is trying to justify them when they should stand up for scrutiny by themselves.

I note the numbers engraved into them look very crude for original pieces and I'm not sure why the numbers wouldn't be incorporated into the design instead of 'blanks' being made to accomodate a number at a later date. That doesn't quite make sense to me and it would be the first time I've come across this.
    Example: A Panzer badge for 25 engagements didn't have a blank space for the number to be added later.

Carl,
    In a similar vein to Adrian, I find the quality lacking even if a donation badge. If Chrys ( Winterhilfswerkbook ) sees this he may respond with more knowledge than me - because EVEN plastic or wood / glass etc.. WHW donation badges are better quality than these. ( and the DRK had some of them too ) Even your camp tokens are of typical Teutonic quality for a throwaway item - I just cannot reconcile these to the era.
    That is my concern & comment.
    Cheers, Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

I agree with what has been said above; they are just way too crude to be original, especially in terms of the lettering's uneven spacing and the engraved donation numbers.

However, there is one more thing blatantly wrong with them: The "long s" ( ſ ) character in "Deutsches" and "Blutspender" is not a "long s" - It's an "f"!

A "long s" is often confused with a lower case "f" by those not used to reading these fonts.

While all letters naturally look slightly different depending on what exact font is used, the difference between a "long s" and an "f" is always that the "long s" has either no nub / horizontal line at all or one only extending to the left, but never - as seen here - to the right.

For illustration, see the title of a 1942 DRK first aid manual (note the "Erste Hilfe")...:

Name:	AUB_EH_1942.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	406798

...these variations on the "long s" character in assorted fonts...:
    Name:  Fonts-langes-s.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  12.2 KB

...or the many examples of DRK brooches found, for example, here:
    The Collector's Guild

?

Thank you for your comments gents, I shall pass them on to the owner.

Regards,

Carl
    Experienced guide and published author leading detailed study trips to the former KZ sites of Nazi Germany. Contact for further details.

www.concentrationcamptours.com

www.concentrationcampmoney.com

"maka akaŋl oyate maŋi pi ki le, tuweŋi wypeya oki hi sni"

First time I see these badges, but I must admit, I'm not liking them for all the reasons already stated.
    Note too how some of the white enameled badges have eagles with swastika and some don't have the swastika.

Tom