Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Deutsches Sportabzeichen

Article about: by HPL2008 It's not just the missing Swastika, actually; it's the letters: Imperial/Weimar/Third Reich-era: DRA = First version (up to ca. 1934/35) DRL = Second version (ca. 1934/35 to 1937)

ado
    ?

Default re: Deutsches Sportabzeichen

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It's not just the missing Swastika, actually; it's the letters:

Imperial/Weimar/Third Reich-era:
    DRA = First version (up to ca. 1934/35)
    DRL = Second version (ca. 1934/35 to 1937)
    DRL + Swastika = Third version (1937 to 1945)

Federal Republic of Germany:
    DSA = Early Post-war version used in some German states (1950s)
    DSB = Later, official version (1950s - 2006)
    DOSB = Current version (2007 - )

Comparison of the first and third version (Bronze grade):
    Attachment 194812

Some more information on the post-war versions (German language):

Das Deutsche Sportabzeichen (alter Art) | Ordensmuseum.de
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    That's Right, letter as well!

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    P
    Many

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    HPL2008, again, great information, thanks ! this thread should clear up any queries made in the future on the forum regarding this badges history and varients, perhaps Adrian can consider making it a "Sticky" ?
    Prost ! Steve.
    I've added it to the pinned 'Useful Reference Links' thread at the top of the forum.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Some more images. First model DRA and Third Reich-era DRL sports badges front and back:
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen

Post-war Bavarian SLA sports badge, front and back, plus machine-woven cloth version and stickpin version of the same:

Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen

I am bringing this thread up again as I have some more relevant information to add and have to correct my initial listing of the types of Sports Badges.

I had described the "DRL"-without-Swastika type of Sports Badge as the second version, issued after the first-model "DRA" and before the final "DRL"-with-Swastika type.
    This is how it is usually identified in the standard references (Forman, Littlejohn/Dodkins etc.) as well as on many dealers' websites.

Reading up on the subject, I have come across information - I have to admit that I cannot call it new information, as it has been out for several years - to the effect that the "DRL"-without-Swastika type had not existed as a transitional early-Third-Reich badge and was in fact an early post-war badge.

The argument is presented in detail here...:
    57er Sportabzeichen/Sportabzeichen DRL ohne Hakenkreuz - Militaria Archiv (German language)
    ...and here...:
    Sportsbadge confusion - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Detlev's DRL Badges - Page 2 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

...All of which is perfectly logical and plausible and has fully convinced me. I don't want to repeat/copy the information there, but the most important arguments for it being a post-war version are:

• The most common version of "DRL"-without-Swastika badge has a "peak" behind the bow that has no reason of being there other than it being the remnant of a Swastika, resulting from these badges being manufactured by the use of modified original dies. (Example: http://www.militaria-archiv.com/atta...9&d=1171121825 )
    • All other versions are either of obvious post-war manufacture with clear differences to the badges issued up to 1945 or can be identified as older examples that have had the Swastika removed and the bow re-worked (either industrially or by individual craftsmen and with varying degrees of neatness from nicely detailed to extremely crude).
    • No period evidence exists for its pre-1945 existence , neither illustrations on qualification booklets/award documents nor period photographs showing this type in wear.
    • The alleged 1937 introduction date for the "DRL"-with-Swastika model cited in various references has to be incorrect as illustrations of it are already seen in documents from 1935, while the "DRA"-badge was certainly issued up to at least the autumn of 1934, hardly leaving any space for a transitional version.

Still, I found the subject of the various types of post-war "DRL"-without-Swastika badges (modified, re-tooled, all-new) quite interesting and decided to add a few examples to my collection. (I can be a bit of an impulsive buyer at times.)

Here is an example of the bronze grade. No pretense was made by the dealer of it being of Third-Reich-manufacture; it was expressly offered under the category of "1957" awards. (Although this is technically not correct.) Note the "solid" center, the "coke bottle" pin and the lack of any manufacturers' or design registration marks:
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen

The equivalent in gold:
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen

A de-nazified version of the silver grade with removed Swastika:
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen

I think I will get myself one of the examples with the "peak" as well. Pictures to follow then...

Gents, the DSB sports badge (official version 1950s - 2006) could and was, often worn on a medal bar, here is a single DSB bar on a Bundeswehr tunic. I also show a couple of other examples. Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Sportabzeichen   Deutsches Sportabzeichen  

Deutsches Sportabzeichen  
    Last edited by oradour; 04-26-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Just arrived today, here is a gold grade example of the post-war version of the DRL Sports Badge (formerly misidentified as the second model), without the Swastika, but showing the "tip" above the bow:
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-03-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Fascinating stuff, nice work!

Bringing this back to the top with a little update to include some badges I have purchased since my last post in March. (These groups also include the previously posted badges.)

First, all three grades of the first model "DRA" Sports Badge, all from the manufacturer Wernstein in Jena:

Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen

Here are the equivalents in the post-war "DRL"-Without-Swastika model, both in the version with the "peak" behind the ribbon bow and the one without the peak and the "full" center cypher (of which the Silver grade is unfortunately not in great condition):

Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen

Finally, an additional image of the above "peaked" versions (just because I kind of like how the photo came out):

Deutsches Sportabzeichen

Another new acquisition, just arrived. A de-nazified bronze-grade DRL Sports Badge with the Swastika ground off:

Deutsches Sportabzeichen
    Deutsches Sportabzeichen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast