Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class

Article about: This is from gottleib's site; In 1938 he was named leader of Organization Todt, a para-military building organization, which constructed the West Wall and other military fortifications. He a

There were many different manufacturers of this award to include Deumer, Zimmerman, Godet, etc. so minute differences will be obvious but it should not disqualify an otherwise fine specimen. Marked badge of this sort would bother me no more than marked pilots badge.
    cheers
    Matt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Gau Ehrenzeichen Collector

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class
    P
    Many

Quote by matthew View Post
    There were many different manufacturers of this award to include Deumer, Zimmerman, Godet, etc. so minute differences will be obvious but it should not disqualify an otherwise fine specimen. Marked badge of this sort would bother me no more than marked pilots badge.
    cheers
    Matt
    I agree entirely Matt. There is really not a surefire single textbook example of many awards like this and DK's for instance, it's probably fairer to say that there are several within every manufacturers realm.

The hinge that's on this award is imo, the same as that used by Deschler from a point in the manufacture of the later four rivet Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, specifically the 'Heavy' version, as it has a wider rounded off rectangular baseplate to make for better soldering. The catch appears to be of the regular directly soldered on type that was used throughout production until the advent of the late war 'Light' version that had a circular baseplate on it to aid the soldering onto the cupal starburst backplate.

I've posted a few pic's below to show the Deschler four rivet Deutsche Kreuz in Gold hinge and it's plate that looks identical to the one on the above FT award, and also the catch, which I'm expecting (or rather hoping...!), to be the same or very similar. Another point to note would be the pin itself, this would be made of neusilber (nickel silver) and non magnetic. I look forward to Anzel's photo's to confirm these thoughts, it's the catch that I really would like to see detailed shots of.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class   Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class  

Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class   Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class  

Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Hardware

This (or similar) is what you can expect to see.
    cheers
    Matt

Is that a Deschler made badge Matt? The oval baseplate on the catch was not what I was expecting, and I can't think of any Deschler made award that had one like it off the top of my head. Do you think it was only used for this particular piece or was it also used on others made by them? Looking again at the O.P's pic's it appears that there maybe one on it as well, but it's not easy to tell. Interesting.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Now to throw a stick in the spokes....same hardware but Godet as marked on the underside of the pin. Every bit original IMO.
    What's needed is a look at the badge as a whole, it's die characteristics, measurements (very important- cant stress it enough), weight and yes hardware as well. At the same time- it is quite possible to find same pins, catches et al on different badges that are perfectly original yet came from different makers.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Is that a Deschler made badge Matt?:
    I have no idea who the maker was- Deschler seem to be the most likely candidate as some of matching examples have been found on the so called 'salesman boards'.
    But as the post above shows- could be some other company that made it as well.

Have you seen other badges like the one originally posted, Matthew? Is the beveled and thick catch normally seen? I've seen and handled a goodly number of these badges, and I can't recall ever seeing one quite like it before. Like I said earlier, I don't particularly like the stamped number on the pin either, but they were hand-applied, so there is always wiggle room for differences there.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I have seen them with beveled catches and with round wire catches. There are some fakes that used the beveled style catch as well but the ones I had a chance to examine had the catch much thicker than on originals as well as round base plate (and were of course numbered on the back- when going to the trouble to fake something, might as well aim for the stars- seem to be the fakers motto).
    Now I am sure somewhere someone has (or if not then will have soon) a fake Todt Preis with exact same hardware as originals but it does not mean the originals are going to become fake as well.

?

It has arrived. Times like this reminds me that I need a better camera. I will try to get a few pictures of the catch.

?

Ok, let the judging begin. I am comfortable with its place among authentic relics within my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class   Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class  

Dr. Fritz Todt 2nd Class  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast