MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold

Article about: I have this nice example of the German Mothers Cross gold grade with original case. Still retains the vast majority of gold gilt. It's just the 16 December 38 version.

Default Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold

I have this nice example of the German Mothers Cross gold grade with original case. Still retains the vast majority of gold gilt. It's just the 16 December 38 version.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold   Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold  

Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold   Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold
    P
    Many

They are beautiful awards in all grades. Leon.

Thank Leon. I like them myself. I have the other 2 classes as well.

The blue enamel colour is very nice. Especially when you find one as nice as yours.

Default My other 2 mothers crosses

Here's a bronze and silver grade cross. I do have the original envelope for the bronze
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold   Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Mutter cased Gold  

Nice to see the original case. It makes you wonder-just how many kids did this gold awarded mother have, and how many survived the war's conclusion. They could be still alive even today.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

One only knows 😉

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Nice to see the original case. It makes you wonder-just how many kids did this gold awarded mother have, and how many survived the war's conclusion. They could be still alive even today.
    It's quite unlikely that any of them are still alive, as it is very well possible that they were born before WWI, maybe even in the 19th century...

Looking at period photographs of Mutterkreuz holders, one cannot help but notice that the majority of them show old women. This is not really surprising, as even the lowest grade (bronze) was for 4 children, with silver for 6 and gold for 8.

No matter much the Nazi government wanted "Aryan" women to breed as many children as possible, such numbers of offspring had long become the exception by the late 1930s. For example: German women born in 1870 gave birth to an average of 4.5 children; for women born in 1900, the average had already dropped to less than 2.5 and would never again climb above that level.

Thanks to Nazi racial politics, the birthrate during the Third Reich period did increase briefly, but there was no marked increase to the overall number of children per family (it was more a case of a simple catch-up effect, as many couples hadn't thought it wise to have children during the preceding period of economic crises) and thus, couples who got married in 1930 still had only 2.2 children on average and those married in 1940 - during the war with all its uncertainties and hardships - only 1.8...

Makes perfectly good sense the birth rate would go down in times of political, financial, and social unrest. Just look at the baby boom post WW2 in the U. S. A. Economic boom brought on a high rate of birth. Spitting ppl out like gum balls.