Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor

Article about: Hello Fellow Militaria Enthusiasts, Fake/Fraud Alert - ePier Auction website. Attached photos are representative of the "inventory" of one particular seller - and these represent j

Luther
    ?

Default ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor

Hello Fellow Militaria Enthusiasts,

Fake/Fraud Alert - ePier Auction website. Attached photos are representative of the "inventory" of one particular seller - and these represent just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Hundreds of items - and all are simply not right. They vehemently insist everything that they post for sale is 100 % correct, original, authentic, etc., etc.

Now lets really face reality...

For example, what are the chances of finding both an original, authentic SS-Wiking engraved 1939 Iron Cross 1st Class and SS-Panzer Art. Rgmt. engraved German Cross Gold Class together?!!??!!!!...one for $425 and the other for $600? Yeah, right. No one, and I mean no one, gives such treasures away if they are authentic. If real, I know many who - including myself - would do whatever is necessary to pay many multiples of these prices. It's just all simply too good to be true.

Let's closely examine one of these so-called "treasures."

The engraved names, dates, divisions bear no relation to reality. On the EK the date is 04.03.1940 but Helmut Bauer was not awarded the EK until 07.03.1943.

5th SS Panzer Division Wiking was not authorized to be formed until December 1940. The EK which, is engraved "5 SS Pzr. Div. Wiking" and dated 04.03.1940 (March 4, 1940) - indicates a date that preceeds the formation of SS Wiking by at least 8 months!

Furthermore, Helmut Bauer was not transferred to 5. SS-Panzer-Division Wiking until the summer of 1942, as a platoon commander in the 3rd Company (Zugfhr. 3./SS-PzRgt 5) - at least 1-1/2 years after the engraved date, 04.03.1940 (March 4, 1940)!

The EK is engraved "SS - Stuschafhr Helmut Bauer" and dated 04.03.1940 (March 4, 1940). If I recall correctly, Stuschfhr is an abbreviation for Sturmscharfurhrer (Seargent Major). Bauer held the rank of Oberstscharfuhrer (Technical Seargent) as of 04.03.1940, not a Sturmscharfuhrer.

Likewise problems with German Cross. And it goes on, and on, and on.

Keep the faith in what you know...and avoid the rest. There's always something else that will send waves of excitement to your brain.

Always buy the book 1st - once they go out of print they become collectibles too and are eagerly sought by serious collectors - the foundation of our hobby!

All things being equal, buy only one of the absolute finest you can find (or that you can afford)...but keep buying those reference books. Besides, books are more entertaining.

Best Regards to All,

Luther,
    Third.Reich.Researcher
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor   ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  

ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor   ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  

ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor   ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  

ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  
    Attached Images Attached Images ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor  ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor 

2. # ADS

Default Re: ePier Auction Website - Fake/Fraud Alert! - Caveat Emptor

Hi Luther, and welcome, That was a very good and informative 1st post

However, most military enthusiasts know places like e pier. militaria321 and of course flea bay.

It saddens me that anyone can believe they are getting something for nothing at these places. There are some (as Scrooge will testify) "bargains" to be had, but by and large it is usually full of crap playing on the un-initiated.

That is why forums like this exists. much to the dismay and horror of some dealers. I say some, because I know a few that sponsor forums, which is a good idea.

The photos that you show are excellent reference material, as to what to look for. And we look forward to more of your posts

Luther
    ?

Hello Mr. Brandon,

Thanks for the compliments.

You know, I've only recently gone searching online...it's something more like "prowling" than treasure-hunting. I've found that once an item hits the web it is no bargain. I suppose this is to be expected. Afterall, those that make a living selling quality, authentic militaria should never be denied a profit. Yet, there are often times that I wonder if actual demand justifies some of the prices.

Alas, the most serious of problems remains forgeries. Believe it or not, that was as true in the 1960s as it is today.

I'm just cautious. I think one should do a lot of looking before buying - especially those that are new to the hobby. And I'm one of those individuals that will "out" corrupt peddlers.

It so bewildering today, that one has to be really committed to be a savvy collector in this field. Join as many forums as possible. Sometimes, only together can we beat the odds. It can be bewildering for those just starting out.

As you know, it's very unfortunate, but I could post hundreds of photos of bogus items. I think that just about everything has been copied, "ripped-off," and counterfeited. Whether it's early colonial American furniture, coins, art pottery or militaria...everything, and I mean everything, has been faked.

Don't lose the faith...trust what you know and stay away from all the rest. Knowledge is power - as in all collectible fields - from barbed wire to the very finest master paintings.

Don't be the guy on History Channel's Pawn Stars who paid $2,000for a flintlock pistol only to find out that it was worthless. You know that guy...we've all seen him. Shame, shame for the ignorance of greed and a perceived quick buck. That'll burn ya...I mean learn ya.

Remember, if you ain't having fun doing this stuff then you need a different hobby. Wise, educated fun first, money last.

Thanks again for the compliments.

HI AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM AS JOHN SAYS VERY INFORMATIVE POSTS!

quote ''And I'm one of those individuals that will "out" corrupt peddlers.''

good man and i the same no matter what!!

regards ewan

Luther
    ?

Hello Mr. Stirling,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Here's one sage bit of advice: "Today, it all comes down to what you're happy with." From a well-respected English militaria dealer.

He couldn't have said it any better.

Best Regards,

Luther
    Third.Reich.Researcher

Quote by Luther View Post
    Hello Mr. Stirling,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Here's one sage bit of advice: "Today, it all comes down to what you're happy with." From a well-respected English militaria dealer.

He couldn't have said it any better.

Best Regards,

Luther
    Third.Reich.Researcher
    luther i agree what a statement tut tut run from that delear

regards ewan

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.