Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

ErdKampfAbzeichen Unmarked

Article about: Hello All, sorting through an old box that has been packed away since the very early 90s I came across a few combat awards. In those days I just popped the badges with no makers marks down a

Default ErdKampfAbzeichen Unmarked

Hello All,
    sorting through an old box that has been packed away since the very early 90s I came across a few combat awards.
    In those days I just popped the badges with no makers marks down as exactly that. So in these years of enlightenment I thought I'd go through some of them to see if I can give them some provenance.

Most I have been able to attribute to particular makers but this one has me stumped.

It is made from zinc, it has a plated brass? eagle fixed by a single flat rivet and a peculiar oblongish catch plate that doesn't seem to have been used by any known makers or indeed by any fakers.

Any help or pointers appreciated
    All the best
    Doug

ErdKampfAbzeichen UnmarkedErdKampfAbzeichen UnmarkedErdKampfAbzeichen UnmarkedErdKampfAbzeichen Unmarked

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ErdKampfAbzeichen Unmarked
    P
    Many

can't help on the maker but a upright badge anyway.

Hi Doug,

This is considered to be a genuine badge by a so far unknown maker, although they have been found in packets named to Hammer & Sohn. But at the same time the same type has been found stamped (very lightly) L/13 (Meybauer) and also lightly stamped with the Osang maker mark. There never seemed to be a definitive answer to this, although the general consensus was that they were genuine wartime badges that were postwar stamped. All in all a bit of a mystery at the moment.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi, Neds above comments are very interesting to me as my first thoughts were a "spot on" period award, but the catch plate base looked strange? I too think it is ok, but going by Ned's research I would be much happier with an un-marked one like this, than one associated with a maker. I feel that they may have been tampered with. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, Neds above comments are very interesting to me as my first thoughts were a "spot on" period award, but the catch plate base looked strange? I too think it is ok, but going by Ned's research I would be much happier with an un-marked one like this, than one associated with a maker. I feel that they may have been tampered with. Leon.
    Hi Leon,

There's nothing wrong with the rear set up, it's always been associated with the unknown maker that is often described tentatively as being the company of J.E. Hammer & Sohne of Geringswalde. The wrap around sheet metal hinge and 'C' shaped round wire catch on a rectangular base are indelibly linked to this particular badge. Any badges of this type that are maker marked should always be treated with the utmost of caution. I have no worries regarding the hardware of this piece being repaired/replaced or messed with in any way, this is how they were made. Below is another example, one of two currently for sale on a Dutch militaria site.

Hope this is a reassurance.

Regards, Ned.

ErdKampfAbzeichen UnmarkedErdKampfAbzeichen UnmarkedErdKampfAbzeichen Unmarked
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very nice original Erdkampfabzeichen Doug. As Ned pointed out, this type is sometimes to find in paper bags from Hammer & Söhne. Very nice looking badge with a great patina on it.

Joe

Good original badge. Thanks for showing it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Many thanks to you all and particularly you Ned.
    That is great research work you have done on this badge. I had never even associated this badge with that maker so it gives me a lead for further research and as you and Joe pointed out the link to packeted awards that will be my first avenue.

I was at a loss as to who the maker could be. I was thinking Assmann because of the flattened single rivet and there seems to be none of these made by him which I found peculiar seeing as he produced so much Lufty stuff.
    I was then searching for other zinc combat badges that had a rectangular hook plate and came up with nothing.
    SO GOOD JOB

Many thanks once again and all the best
    Doug