Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

An Extremely Rare Gau Badge Is Available

Article about: Just a quick note. I don't usually tout dealers websites, but Kai Winkler has just posted a badge that Rare in the Extreme. You may want to take a look at it before it vanishes-you probably

Default Re: An Extremely Rare Gau Badge Is Available

That is very cool William thanks for showing.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An Extremely Rare Gau Badge Is Available
    P
    Many

?

Yes, an extremely rare badge and good to see some decent images of one. Thank you for posting it - eventually......
    Nr.54 - how many of these were awarded?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I don't know if the number issued is actually known, but the few that were, were to high up important officials.(Himmler had one,for example). And, if they weren't rare enough, they came in different Grades also. I've actually seen one where the enamel was replaced with blue sapphires and the eagle was covered in diamonds with the badge being made of gold and platinum. A platinum, gold and diamond Wartheland badge....now how many of those could exist today? What ddi you have to do to Get such a thing awarded to you-marry the Gauleiter's sister?? Although, if I recall right, this particular Gauleiter was hung after the war..Hmm... William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Even though the participants and year commemorated here mark the start of terrible suffering and upheaval for my family (my father in particular) I cannot deny that it is a beautifully rendered badge. Incredible craftsmanship and quality.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Even though the participants and year commemorated here mark the start of terrible suffering and upheaval for my family (my father in particular) I cannot deny that it is a beautifully rendered badge. Incredible craftsmanship and quality.
    So just what exactlly did this award go to and for what?

Mike, I’m not quite certain. Warthegau was a Nazi German administrative subdivision formed from the Wielkopolska (“Greater Poland”) region annexed in 1939, an area contested between the two nations over the centuries. But back to your question, I am equally curious as to exactly what this amazing badge was awarded for. A far as badges go, it’s a real tour de force.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

If you like this badge, you'll love This one. From what I've been able to find, this one was never awarded. It was found at Schloss Klessheim near Salzburg in 1945. Gold,diamonds and platinum with sapphires. William

William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I will take 1, or 2
    Last edited by Teutonicknights; 10-16-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Wow. Totally over the top. Say no more.

First time I'm using this emoticon, and well warranted in this instance:

T.

As for the requirements and award numbers: The Sept./Oct. 2007 issue of the German "IMM" magazine had an article on this badge, from which I have taken the following information:

The Ehrenzeichen des Reichsgaues Wartheland was created on the initiative of the infamous Gauleiter Greiser who personally sought out Hitler to gain permission for the institution of this badge.

Initially, the badge was primarily intended for the ethnic German citizens of the formerly Prussian province of Posen (Poznań) - which had become a part of Poland under the Treaty of Versailles - and meant as an award for those who had "fought for the rights of the German population" in said area during the period from the end of WW1 up to 1939.

It was also awarded for post-1939 work in establishing and "building up" the new Warthegau.

Exact award numbers are unknown, but the badge was awarded sparsely.
    In a speech on the day of the first award ceremony (24 October 1942) Greiser stressed that "this decoration must truly be awarded exclusively to such men and women who have gained the most particularly high merits in the active struggle for our national character". ["Deshalb darf dieses Ehrenzeichen auch wirklich nur an solche Männer und Frauen verliehen werden, die sich ganz besonders hohe Verdienste im aktiven Volkstumskampf erworben haben."]

Three award ceremonies for the badge are known:

24 October 1942 - 156 awards made, including Greiser who already wore the badge at the ceremony and General Walter Petzel, who was awarded the badge by Greiser. Of the remaining 154 awards, 14 were posthumous awards to killed Volkstumskämpfer, 28 were for ethnic German activists from the Polish period, 12 were for German settlers and the rest for other Volkstumskämpfer.

24 October 1943 - Unknown number of awards made. The recipients included Himmler and Bormann as the first awardees from outside the Warthegau as well as Korvettenkapitän Lüth.

5 November 1944 - Unknown number of awards made.

See here for a photo showing Greiser wearing the badge:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Wartheland.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast