Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Flakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmann

Article about: hi guys. what do you think? for me a good one but there are some collectors they dont like it. maybe its not often to see. thanks. Jan Annoyed from this ads?  

Default Flakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmann

hi guys. what do you think? for me a good one but there are some collectors they dont like it. maybe its not often to see. thanks. Jan

Flakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmannFlakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmannFlakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmannFlakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmannFlakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmannFlakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmann
    Last edited by rbminis; 11-13-2014 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmann
    P
    Many

Hi, it is certainly based on a Wiedmann award but I do not like it. Compared to mine(albeit mine has no finish) the details are either poor or not there at all in several places and I also do not like the deep ridge in the reverse. The hardware is of the correct type but again I do not like the look of it. Leon.Flakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmannFlakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmannFlakkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe-marked wiedmann

not for me either,a great lack of detail.

For me it's original. The problem here is either a very weak die strike that has caused the obverse detail to be poor and the base material to not be pressed into the die fully, as can be seen on the reverse, or it may be that the badge was injection molded (as some types were) and not enough base material went into the mold. I just don't know exactly which process Weidmann used to be sure, but I think that the badges problem is due to one of these processes going wrong.

The rear set up is 100% correct for Weidmann, being known as the "Classic Set Up" of the lily pad hinge and flatwire catch on a large circular base. The finish is correct too, as is the maker mark. I think this just got past the QC section unnoticed but is a genuine piece, albeit being an unusual one that could easily frighten some collectors.

An interesting badge, thanks for showing it!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for your comments guys the badge is on its way so when it comes ill make some more pictures. But i have feeling that its a good one. Die flaws are commonly seen on quite many genuine awards. Auxilarry,anti partisan etc. Wiedmann has very strong and nice finishes on awards which are still shiny after many years. Look for example on ,,19,, east medals....

Quote by big ned View Post
    For me it's original. The problem here is either a very weak die strike that has caused the obverse detail to be poor and the base material to not be pressed into the die fully, as can be seen on the reverse, or it may be that the badge was injection molded (as some types were) and not enough base material went into the mold. I just don't know exactly which process Weidmann used to be sure, but I think that the badges problem is due to one of these processes going wrong.

The rear set up is 100% correct for Weidmann, being known as the "Classic Set Up" of the lily pad hinge and flatwire catch on a large circular base. The finish is correct too, as is the maker mark. I think this just got past the QC section unnoticed but is a genuine piece, albeit being an unusual one that could easily frighten some collectors.

An interesting badge, thanks for showing it!

Regards, Ned.
    An original award for me too. Ned, just to play devils advocate now. Could it be a worn die? Although you'd think they would wear more evenly (obverse & reverse) that is. Just thought I'd ask your thoughts. Stewy

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    An original award for me too. Ned, just to play devils advocate now. Could it be a worn die? Although you'd think they would wear more evenly (obverse & reverse) that is. Just thought I'd ask your thoughts. Stewy
    Hi Mate,

I think it may be more to do with the material not being up to temperature as it is forced under pressure in the die and this has caused the obverse centre of the badge to "sink" as an air pocket or vacuum point has been formed on the reverse side. Note the "creasing" away from the void travelling up the barrel, I think this may show that the material was not hot enough to "flow" whilst under pressure, and this caused the fault.

These "creases" can be found on other Weidmann Luft Flak badges, but i've not seen one this bad before. Here's an example of what i'm referring to, a slight crease visible, but the material "flowed" more easily. I imagine there could have been a vent in the die to allow gas/air to escape, but perhaps this was not possible if the material wasn't up to temperature, or possibly it was blocked by crud. Please bear in mind that this is mainly just as I see it and may be completely wrong.

Regards, Ned.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree with Ned's analogy!
    And since it didn't adversely effect the obverse very much, they put hardware on it and moved it on.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

This is a perfect example of why I am a contributing member !! Great job !! G

Hi guys, thanks Ned for that detailed explanation as to all the flaws, I would not have gone near it myself looking at that obverse! I am glad that it has turned out to be original but as it is not a "variation" as such, just a badly produced piece I personally would still pass on it. Leon.