Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fliegerschützenabzeichen für Bordfunker information

Article about: Hi there, I understand the Fliegerschützenabzeichen für Bordfunker was made with lightning and from 1942 also without lightning for air gunners. Did they still make the Fliegerschützenabzeic

Default Fliegerschützenabzeichen für Bordfunker information

Hi there,

I understand the Fliegerschützenabzeichen für Bordfunker was made with lightning and from 1942 also without lightning for air gunners.
    Did they still make the Fliegerschützenabzeichen für Bordfunker with lightning after 1942 for the radio operators?
    If no, why not? Were they all replaced by the badge without lightning?

Thanks,

Willem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fliegerschützenabzeichen für Bordfunker information
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Yes, they continued to make them. It's a long explanation but I will try to keep it short.

The "original" award was a combined award for Radio Operators and Air Gunners. This award was instituted in 1935. It was available to be awarded to Radio Operators, Air Gunners as well as Flight Engineers (who doubled as Air Gunners as well). After 1942, only Radio Operators could qualify for this award and it was reclassified at a Radio Operators Badge. And it was awarded till the end of the war. You can see this also in the award boxes as they changed the name on them.

Why was it reclassified? In 1942, due to attrition and the "Compartmentalization" of crew roles on the plane, it was deemed that second award was needed just for Air Gunners/Flight Engineers.

You can see examples of Air Gunner badges where the lightening bolts have been cut off (before new dies were made) and others where the new dies were produced that never had the lightening bolts (easy to tell from the shape of the talons).

I won't go into the Unqualified Air Gunner Badge with is also different.

Credit to Previtera's book "Combat Badges of the 3rd Reich Vol 2" for the above information

Awards with cut off lighting bolts are hard to authenticate as being period done. Many were cut off post war to make it into an Air Gunner only award as I think these bring a higher value.

Here is my AG only badge

Fliegerschutzenabzeichen fur Bordschutzen und Bordmechaniker - Assman (Luft Air Gunner Award)

And my ROAG

Luft ROAG - Cupal/Aluminum FFL (Fliegerschutzenabzeichen für Bordfunker und Bordschutzen )
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)