Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?

Article about: Adrian: I will definitely post a link to this discussion if I place it in the classifieds. I mainly thought of getting rid of this one because I would like to upgrade one day. Thanks for all

Default Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?

Hey guys. I was hoping to get a few opinions on this badge. I'm considering placing this in the classifieds and wanted to be certain that there are no issues with it and all is ok. I've never been able to match it with a known maker, maybe one of you can.
    Thanks for your help!

Luke

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?

Replaced catch and pin?

A couple more pictures.
    Thanks!

Luke

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?

?

The closest I can find is a Forster & Barth badge but I always thought badges from this maker had an inverted and indented V shape on the back. Unless they produced a flat back of course.

**Edit**

After a bit more research I believe this is an original badge by an unknown maker. This maker produced many Kriegsmarine badges all of which have a flat reverse.

They - wait for it - are known as 'the flat back' maker.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thank you gentlemen!
    Adrian: Is it common to find the middle of these pins bent inward?

Luke

?

Hi Guys,

Yes, as Adrian says, a typical badge of the "unknown flatback maker". No accident that it reminded Adrian of F&B since all the KM flatback badges share the same obverse design as the Pforzheim makers. Current theorizing includes a Pforzheim maker or perhaps Rettenmaier in nearby Schwäbisch-Gmund since some flatback GABs were once found with leftover post-war Rettenmaier stock, and the unusually shaped wide pin on the flatback U-Boat matches that on some Rettenmaier EK1s. There is a range in quality and the suspicion of continued post-war assembly and/or production (in the same manner as Souval), and interestingly Rettenmaier's business survived post-war, but nothing is known for sure. As such they are the most enigmatic and least desirable of KM badges (except for the controversial "Bacquevilles") although still worthy of collecting if one collects variants.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

?

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Is it common to find the middle of these pins bent inward?
    Hi Luke,

No, I think that was just a random event. Here's an example of the "flatback" Minesweeper.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?  

Hey Norm,
    Thank you so much for the info. Very much appreciated!

Luke

?

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Thank you gentlemen!
    Adrian: Is it common to find the middle of these pins bent inward?

Luke
    Hi Luke,

It's not a 'normal' thing to find but a pin could be bent for any number of reasons from the wearer wanting to secure the badge to his uniform a bit better or to having something pressed against it in storage over the last 70 years or so. Pin/catch damage does occur because these are the weakest areas and more susceptible to being bent.

Quote by Norm F View Post
    Hi Guys,

Yes, as Adrian says, a typical badge of the "unknown flatback maker". No accident that it reminded Adrian of F&B since all the KM flatback badges share the same obverse design as the Pforzheim makers. Current theorizing includes a Pforzheim maker or perhaps Rettenmaier in nearby Schwäbisch-Gmund since some flatback GABs were once found with leftover post-war Rettenmaier stock, and the unusually shaped wide pin on the flatback U-Boat matches that on some Rettenmaier EK1s. There is a range in quality and the suspicion of continued post-war assembly and/or production (in the same manner as Souval), and interestingly Rettenmaier's business survived post-war, but nothing is known for sure. As such they are the most enigmatic and least desirable of KM badges (except for the controversial "Bacquevilles") although still worthy of collecting if one collects variants.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Thank you for the confirmation Norm and for the additional information.

Luke,

If you decide to place this one in the classifieds, Norm's observation about this variant being one of the least desirable should be reflected in the price. You won't get top dollar for it but if priced reasonably it will appeal to anyone wanting a representative example of this badge. I would also place a link to this thread in the sales ad so members can read the discussion.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

No problem.

Here's a comparison of a "flatback" U-Boat and a Rettenmaier L/59 marked EK1 showing the same hollow hinge and distinctive main pin. A similar pin was also used by Deschler, another name which sometimes comes up in the discussion of flatbacks although probably lower on the list.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen. The Fleet War Badge. Opinions?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast