Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - High Seas Fleet Badge

Article about: Gents, This is my latest addition - an early to mid war Schwerin High Seas Fleet badge in tombak. Based on the location of the maker's stamp i believe this to be variation 2. I has the typic

Default Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - High Seas Fleet Badge

Gents,

This is my latest addition - an early to mid war Schwerin High Seas Fleet badge in tombak. Based on the location of the maker's stamp i believe this to be variation 2.
    I has the typical features expected - a slightly scalloped reverse, typical coke bottle shaped rear hinge, the downward sloping right antenna boom and other small but distinctive features.

There is a slight loss of the silver finish to the ship and you can see some of the tombak showing through but the photos highlight this much more than it really is - when in hand it shows up much less.

This is my 3rd Schwerin tombak badge - I'm not specifically collecting this maker, but they seem fairly common and this is what i have picked up.

Hope you like,

Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen - High Seas Fleet Badge
    P
    Many

Beautiful badge Nick. Condition is very good. I think that tombak Schwerin pieces are the best made kriegsmarine badges.

Best regards,
    Franko

Thanks Franko - like I say the camera (whether with flash or not) shows a lot more tombak showing through than when it is in hand.
    It's actually much closer to the condition of the golden gilding around the outside.

Lovely badge indeed, and in great condition. Nice pick up, buddy.

Quote by Franjo Vuk View Post
    Beautiful badge Nick. Condition is very good. I think that tombak Schwerin pieces are the best made kriegsmarine badges.

Best regards,
    Franko
    Agree 100% with this. Beauty !!

Thanks MG, David.
    I've set myself a precedent on only getting good to excellent KM badges now!
    Likely this will cost me more £££ in the long run, but when I complete the set it will look pretty special I think.
    Nick

That is always the best way Nick, although in that case badges will cost more certainly, but that will pay off in the end. And you have really bought excellent badges so far. This one and your Zerstorer badge are both absolutely stunning pieces.

Best regards,
    Franko

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Thanks MG, David.
    I've set myself a precedent on only getting good to excellent KM badges now!
    Likely this will cost me more £££ in the long run, but when I complete the set it will look pretty special I think.
    Nick
    Interesting challenge. I have myself tried to stick to collecting only one kind of item, but there is too much temptation out there!

Best of luck!

Quote by Migobeego View Post
    Interesting challenge. I have myself tried to stick to collecting only one kind of item, but there is too much temptation out there!
    Well - i'm not sticking to only one thing - for example I really like collecting helmets and field equipment also. And for sure i'll not just stick with KM badges, but I would like to complete the set so to speak.
    The challenge I think will be finding good quality examples of every badge - particularly the S-Boat badge.

Here's another photo from my mobile phone - perhaps shows the colours more realistically:

Last edited by HoundsTooth; 05-03-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: grammer

As we have discussed Nick...stick with the Schwerin or Juncker tombak makers for KM badges. They hold their value quite well over zinc badges. If you are only trying to collect a set...it's wise finding the best pieces you can. Take your time & save your money until the right one comes along.David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast