Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Flugzeugführerabzeichen, Gebrüder Wegerhoff

Article about: Hello Doc, Welcome to the Forum! About the Pilot's Badge, I'd have to say that it's pretty much a person to person thing, but as for myself, I would not consider that, unfortunately, it was

Doc
    ?

Default Flugzeugführerabzeichen, Gebrüder Wegerhoff

Hi all. New member here. I've been collecting WW2 German war memorabilia off and on for about 15 years now. I have a question and I'm hoping someone here can help. An acquaintance from work who knows I'm a collector recently approached me about a German medal that he had in his possession and asked if I was interested in buying it. I told him I'd take a look at it, and he allowed me to take it home and research it. Well, I did, and by comparing it to one of my books, "Detecting the Fakes", I classified this medal as a fake. However, in the back of my mind, I couldn't let it go, so I looked up GWL to get the specifics on this manufacturer. Sure enough, it's quite different from medals made by other manufacturers. It's the pilot's badge, however the wreath has been removed leaving just the eagle and swastika. However, it is IDENTICAL to the one pictured in this forum, and has the countersunk-looking rivets with the dimples on the tips. It even has the small imperfection on the circle surrounding the maker's stamp, at about the 7 o'clock location, as was mentioned in some of the other places I researched. From what I can tell, it's an authentic medal. Now, here's my question: Assuming that it is in fact real, does it still have any value without the wreath being attached to it? And if so, any ideas on what it might be worth? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ~"Doc"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flugzeugführerabzeichen, Gebrüder Wegerhoff
    P
    Many

Hello Doc, Welcome to the Forum! About the Pilot's Badge, I'd have to say that it's pretty much a person to person thing, but as for myself, I would not consider that, unfortunately, it was worth much of anything over that of a curio. Without the wreath, it's just a Part of a badge.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi Doc. Welcome! As William noted, without the wreath it is just "part of a badge", and will be valued as such. However, my opinion is that since these badges are quite expensive (when complete), it certainly can't hurt to throw it out here for opinions. There may be a collector with a wreath they'd like to pair with the remaining part that you have. Granted, no matter what, the completed badge will never be considered "all original", but to that collector it may be enough to make him/her happy. Will you get hundreds of dollars for your piece, likely not. But... it may still have value.

I'd suggest posting really good, well lit photos of the front and back for us to see. From there you'll at least get a sense of it's authenticity.

Dzyner

Doc
    ?

Thanks guys. Absolutely, I will post pictures as soon as I can. The only camera I have is my cell phone, so they won't be great. However, I am convinced it's an authentic piece. Sadly....without wreath. However, I might buy it just because of it's authenticity and because of this particular maker's stamp. Would you give me a ballpark figure of what it might be worth? The guy that owns it doesn't have any appreciation for artifacts, and I'd rather have it for safe keeping. Thanks again for the replies, I really appreciate any input you can give me. ~Doc

?

Hi Doc. I wouldn't expect much feedback on value, especially on a parts badge and with no photos. I think a good start would be posting photos and go from there.

Doc
    ?

Flugzeugführerabzeichen, Gebrüder WegerhoffFlugzeugführerabzeichen, Gebrüder WegerhoffFlugzeugführerabzeichen, Gebrüder WegerhoffFlugzeugführerabzeichen, Gebrüder Wegerhoff

Doc
    ?

Sorry for the delay, guys. This is the best I could get with my iPhone. Off to work (night shift guy) so I'll check for responses tomorrow. I appreciate the help on this one. Even though it's not the complete badge, I think I'd still like to buy it just because it's the sought after GWL stamp. Tell me what you think! Thanks!
    ~Doc

?

Quote by Doc View Post
    I think I'd still like to buy it just because it's the sought after GWL stamp.
    At first glance I like it. Wait for other replies though as I'm no expert on these (obviously since I posted mine for review as well). As for value, if it were me I probably wouldn't pay more than $50 - $100 for it. If your goal is to resell it, you're going to have a real tough time without the wreath since (again) you'll need to find a buyer who has the wreath and needs your piece. That's my 2 cents.

Dzyner

From what it looks like, it seems to be a leftover part that was never assembled into a badge. A shame, as, in my opinion, GWL produced some of the best quality badges and awards of the era. If it were an original intact GWL Pilot's badge, it would be in the 3 figures value range in a case, but as just a Part? Well...as said above, unfortunately, not much more than a simple Curio. Personally, I would certainly not pay very much for it, as to be truthful, what can you actually Do with it? Is it worth, say, 50 dollars? Maybe to the right person who thinks it's a cool thing, but to a serious collector, probably not. It's a tantalizing thing that is both intriguing and tempting, but at the end of the day, it's simply just a Part and as such has very little intrinsic value.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Doc
    ?

Thanks Dzyner and Wagriff, I do appreciate the input. Yeah, I know it's not a complete badge and just a piece, but depending on what the seller expects to get for it, I may buy it just for myself. I don't plan on reselling it, and I know that if I did that it doesn't have any real value. But when it comes down to it, I really just collect for myself, and knowing that this was there and authentic (we're presuming) that it would have stories to tell if it could speak. Wagriff: Actually, the rivets show sign of being pried away from the wreath. There are small cracks where they have been bent slightly during the process. Also, I know it's hard to see from the cellphone pics, but it almost looks as if someone had actually used it at some point to pry on something. The swastika is slightly bent and there is a dent on the inside of it. Imagine using something like this as a screwdriver. Who knows? Anyway, thanks for the input. Sounds like my instincts might have been right, and it's in fact authentic. Too bad no wreath. I appreciate the help. I do have other items I've collected over the years that I'll eventually take photos of as I'd like your opinions on them as well. ~Doc