MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?

Article about: Hi Guys, Just bought this Luftwaffe pilot's badge (Flugzeugführerabzeichen) from a Reliable Private Collection Everything looks right on it, very fine details on the Eagles Wings and Legs, V

Question Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?

Hi Guys,

Just bought this Luftwaffe pilot's badge (Flugzeugführerabzeichen) from a Reliable Private Collection
    Everything looks right on it, very fine details on the Eagles Wings and Legs, Very fine details on the feathers,
    Nice Detailing of the Wreath etc, Maker Unknown.

As I say, it come from a reliable Private Collection, to me it looks OK,
    but as always I would like others opinions please which will be highly valued and appreciated.

Many thanks for your time and answers, Neil.

Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?
    Last edited by rbminis; 06-03-2015 at 07:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?
    P
    Many

Hi Neil,

sorry to say, but this Pilot badge is also a fake.

KR
    Joe

?

Joe - Can you please elaborate for me as to why you believe this to be a fake? My knowledge on these is very limited, and I would greatly appreciate your wisdom.

Thank You Sir!

Duff

I agree with Joe. The eagle bears no exact resemblance to any of those used by the known (and unknown) makers of the badge. If a comparison were to be made, then in my opinion it's a hybrid cross between a GWL and FLL eagle. Looking at the wreath, it's very poor, the flat looking ribbon and general lack of detail kill it for me. The rivets on the reverse side are a close match to those used by Assmann on some of their buntmetall badges, but again, the rest still doesn't add up to being a genuine example.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    I agree with Joe. The eagle bears no exact resemblance to any of those used by the known (and unknown) makers of the badge. If a comparison were to be made, then in my opinion it's a hybrid cross between a GWL and FLL eagle. Looking at the wreath, it's very poor, the flat looking ribbon and general lack of detail kill it for me. The rivets on the reverse side are a close match to those used by Assmann on some of their buntmetall badges, but again, the rest still doesn't add up to being a genuine example.

Regards, Ned.
    Hello Neil,
    whoever you are buying these badges from they are selling you bundles of Birmingham fakes....I mentioned these before on your para badge.

Ned has pinned the 'BIG TELL' on these badges...The ribbon tie at the bottom is very square.
    If you compare this Wreath with the one on your para badge I am guessing that you will see they are exactly the same.

The chap who used to make them (passed away now) only had one style of wreath but he whacked loads of different birds on to them.
    You could get them with any makers stamp or none at all.
    I am very sure that I have got a para and an observer in the shed and if I get chance I will picture them and pop them on here.

All the best
    Doug

Thanks Guys for all your inputs, I must admit I bought the Pilots badge and the Paratroopers Badge on Impulse,
    The Seller was a "Private Collector" and was from his "Private Collection" selling the Pilots badge at a Discounted
    £220, from the Normal Price, That should of set of alarm bells but at the time I had to make a quick decision to buy and unfortunately I fell
    for the trap, All sales were final with no returns., I surely fell for that one, I let my guard down, at which normally I'm quite good at!

I won't fall for that one again hopefully!

Doug, with reference to the Ribbon tie at the bottom and that it is very square, at the time I thought it was odd, I should have passed on this one
    but I was so desperate to own a pilots badge, my guard was down.

Anyway, Thanks for all your inputs guy's, as always your inputs are always greatly appreciated,

Best Regards,

Neil

Ouch. I feel for you........... Discounted price? AND no returns. That would have made me run.Easy to say now, I know, but if your heart rules your head, it can cause you all sorts of grief. I think we've all been there

Hi Neil,

As the old saying goes, "If something's too good to be true it usually is....." Still, by joining this forum you need never get bit again and I would thoroughly recommend Gold Membership to help both you and the forum maintain this enviable hard earned money saving resource and the assured piece of mind that it gives both now and in the future, you know it makes good sense.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 06-04-2015 at 05:05 PM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here you go Neil as promised.
    This is an old picture I found in my files showing a selection of badges that the old chap used to knock out of his Birmingham workshop.

You will note the wreath on all 3 LW examples are the same.

Hope this helps in the future.

If you still need me to root around in my shed to find some examples give me a nod and I'll try to get in there.

All the best
    Doug

Oh! I forgot to mention these were around £20-30 each so you wern't hit too badly on the para

Flugzeugführerabzeichen REAL or FAKE?

it's always a rotten shame when one gets caught.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast