MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze

Article about: Plus the best pic. I have of the makers mark.

ETF
    ?

Default Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze

Hello All,
    I picked this one up in an auction. These are fairly hard to come by as they were introduced late in the war...April 1944 I believe.
    Made by G.H. Osang...bronze finish. It does retain a great deal of it's original finish. Comments are welcome and appreciated.
    Ed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze   Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze  

Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze   Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze
    P
    Many

I am not a collector of flight clasps, but when i would offered this clasp, i would pass this clasp.

I see very soft details on the obverse side, hinge and catch are looking also strange and the rivet too. I have my doubts, but maybe we can hear more opinions from the guys here!

KR
    Joe

?

I'm not a fan of the details, the makers mark, the hinge or the base metal. As far as I know, it should be zinc but it looks nothing like it. It also doesn't look like tombak.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

ETF
    ?

KR Joe...thanks for your comments. I appreciate your feedback. I have looked at several photos of this type of clasp from various sources and the hinge, hinge pin, pin and clasp(C hook) look the same as on this clasp. I'll post a few more photos of my clasp later. Maybe they will provide more detail. In the meantime I posted the link below. The silver clasp (5th clasp down from the top) shows the same details as the one I posted. I would appreciate additional comments from members as well. I would like to try to get a definitive answer on this one. Whether positive or not.
    Thanks in advance for comments.

Luftwaffe Badges
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze   Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze  

ETF
    ?

Thanks for your comments Adrian. Would better detailed photos help? Or are these photos good enough in color and detail to make accurate judgements? Again, I would just like to have a final verdict if you will or
    Best Regards,
    Ed

?

Is there rust around the hinge?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

ETF
    ?

Adrian,
    It's not rust. I just looked at it thoroughly with a jewelers loop and magnifying glass. The color looks like copper. Similar to the copper color of a U.S. penny. There's no rust on the clasp anywhere. I can take some additional photos/close-ups tonight if that would help. Under the loop the hinge looks like it had some work done by hand. It looks like old time craftsmanship but "rough" or crude for lack of a better words. In the hand the clasp looks and "feels" good IMO. Of course we all know how some of these things look great...but.... Again, let me know if more photos would help.

Best Regards,
    Ed

ETF
    ?

I found these on e-Medals for comparison.

http://www.emedals.com/collectors-ga...o-ground-clasp

The metal must have copper, brass or bronze or combination of two or three of the metals in it. I just found a coating of green verdigris in the "upside down V" space where the swords cross and the cross -guards.
    Last edited by ETF; 05-01-2014 at 01:48 AM.

ETF
    ?

Default Luftwaffe Air to Ground Support Clasp Additional Photos

Here are some additional photos that I just took. Again, I appreciate all feedback and comments. I would like to try to get to a point where I have a definitive good or not verdict. So far the opinions have not been positive but I'm not sold based the lack of specifics as to why the clasp is not good. I'm good either way but need specifics on the "why it's not good". Perhaps an "on hands" inspection by a couple of experienced collectors may be needed. In the meantime this will go into "The Questionable Items" file.

Thanks again for all feedback and comments.
    Regards to All,
    Ed

Note: Photo of maker mark is blurred...will require an additional photo.

Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze   Frontflugspange für Schlagtflieger in Bronze  

?

I only have a zinc bronze, but here are pics of a buntmetal/tomback silver (with a repaired hinge) to compare.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast