Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMME

Article about: I would be very appreciative of expert opinions on the authenticity of this Luftwaffe Pilot/Observer's badge. Photos were taken in sunlight. If anyone wants to see an enlargement just let me

Default Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMME

I would be very appreciative of expert opinions on the authenticity of this Luftwaffe Pilot/Observer's badge.
    Photos were taken in sunlight.
    If anyone wants to see an enlargement just let me know what area you need enlarged.
    Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMMEGemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMMEThanks very much.
    Jim
    Last edited by rbminis; 10-10-2016 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMME
    P
    Many

Please read if you plan on posting here.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Jim,

Looks like a good JMME marked J2 to me. I'm not convinced that it's a Pilot/Observer badge with the gold wreath though, I'm thinking it may be a Pilot badge that's tarnished a little. Best wait and see what others think about this.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I am not sure if it´s a real "Gemeinsames Flugzeugführer und Beobachterabzeichen".

I tend also more to a Flugzeugführerabzeichen which have changed the colour over the years. But for sure a very nice looking "IMME" badge.

Regards
    Joe

very nice badge.

I am tending to think that this a P/O badge, as the obverse of the wreath has a definite gold tint-one that would be difficult to accept as discoloration. But, of course, fakers have been coloring the wreaths on plain Pilot badges to increase the values, although this one has a good chance to be genuine in my opinion. And, as said, the badge itself looks fine, so the only question is, is it a colored wreath Pilot or a P/O? I would lean towards a P/O.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I am tending to think that this a P/O badge, as the obverse of the wreath has a definite gold tint-one that would be difficult to accept as discoloration. But, of course, fakers have been coloring the wreaths on plain Pilot badges to increase the values, although this one has a good chance to be genuine in my opinion. And, as said, the badge itself looks fine, so the only question is, is it a colored wreath Pilot or a P/O? I would lean towards a P/O.
    The problem I have with that, is that if it is a P/O badge with a gold wreath, then why is the pin also the same colour? From what I've seen, most if not all P/O badges have a normal silver coloured pin, the only exception I know of being a couple of P/O badges with diamonds that are extremely rare. If a JMME or Juncker badge (they both used the same identical parts) can be shown with an original gold coloured pin rather than the silver type then I'm prepared to entertain the possibility.

The more I look at the badge above, both obverse and reverse, I reckon rather than being a gold wreathed P/O badge it's just a Pilots badge that has been stained with tobacco smoke or coal/wood smoke possibly from having been on display in an environment that caused this. Both the wreath, eagle and pin show signs of staining IMO and a gentle clean in warm soapy water will show this. I think on balance it's the latter, a tarred up Flugzeugführerabzeichen.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

True that. It's a tough call. I would wonder why the eagle-both front and reverse-is not also showing discoloration as well, at least to some degree, if the wreath has such golden toning to it. (although the wings just Might show the hint of gold tint also-it's hard to tell from the photo) As you say, I would be sorely tempted to give the reverse of the wreath a small test swipe with a soft cloth and some gentle cleaner and see if anything lightens up or not. If it's real gilt, a little swab should not hurt it. So, for now, it's a decent IMME Pilot badge with the Potential to possibly be a P/O....or not.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMME

Thanks to all who took the time to assess the authenticity of the Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMME I posted a few days ago.
    I had posted photos of it that I took using the camera's strobe a few months back. The consensus was I needed to take shots of it in the sunlight. This weekend past was my first opportunity to do that. It wasn't very bright sun though as there was a good bit of cloud cover.
    In closely examining the badge the gilt is faded because it is showing wear from rubbing on clothing. I've studied enough decorations, collar disks and such over my 55 years in the militaria collecting hobby to recognize wear patterns.
    This particular badge, even with wear on the gilt, still looks like jewelry.
    I'll add a couple of the photos I took using the camera strobe to this post.
    Thanks again.
    Jim

Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMMEGemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMMEGemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen, JMME