Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German Gold Cross in cloth / Deutsches Kreuz in Gold Stoffausführung mit gesticktem Kranz.

Article about: Hi chaps, Could do with some info please.How common was it to have a cloth insignia of the Gold Cross not with metal gold wreath but one stitched with gold thread? I have to date only seen o

?

Big Ned Thank you.You are the Man you definitely came up trumps.Thats the exact image I wanted to see. That now confirms the existence of such a badge.It too is a shame that this is only an archive picture as was mine.Like I said the item was sold back in 2012 in Germany by a reputable source, I assume it has provenance to command that price.
    Judy for me I don't go main stream I like the odd,those pieces are sometimes harder to find and in my opinion command a stronger price.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    SteveR I guess its difficult for use to imagine the conditions or available resources some things were made under.Items made provisionally or for temporary use are still originals and to appreciate them they need to be seen in 3D,touched,examined,viewed through a loop and smelt to get a real feel of its authenticity.
    Any more pics would be great to see .Thanks Guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Gold Cross in cloth / Deutsches Kreuz in Gold Stoffausführung mit gesticktem Kranz.
    P
    Many

The badge shown in the photo is totally different materials and construction than the one originally posted. The original badge almost looks like something privately made at home to replace a lost or stolen badge?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

For that sort of money I would much rather feel safe in the purchase of an unquestionable piece, such as...oh I dunno...this example?

German Gold Cross in cloth / Deutsches Kreuz in Gold Stoffausführung mit gesticktem Kranz.

The more I look at it, the more I think it may well be a bespoke piece made during the period, but that's a bit of a leap of faith on my part. It should be remembered that often nothing is always 'textbook', and some more quirky or exotic versions are easily possible as the award is handmade and not a die struck medal/award, enabling various possibilities to arise. Also, it doesn't resemble any of the Pakistani fakes i've seen, but does bear a rather good resemblance to the top one of these two in the link below. (Click on the pic's).

German Cross

The first is believed to be tailormade, and the second either field or homemade. Nevertheless, this doesn't explain everything, and this is where unscrupulous dealers can use the "one of a kind" argument to push forward fake badges of this type.

The material that appears to have been used, and the manufacturing processes applied on this first posted cross make me think that it maybe what it alludes to be, but again, those with more experience than I who have seen and handled original ones (and there can't be many!) are better placed to make that call.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2