MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

German medals?

Article about: Greetings,I received these medals as a gift for helping a friend,was wondering what they are actually and are they valuable,I tried to find out in my limited books and online,but don't know

?

Default German medals?

Greetings,I received these medals as a gift for helping a friend,was wondering what they are actually and are they valuable,I tried to find out in my limited books and online,but don't know what to look for? I like them very much and think the german medal "bug" has bitten me,they were received from U.S.WW2 vet.Your opinions and expertise is greatly appreciated...Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German medals?   German medals?  

German medals?   German medals?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German medals?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German medals?

Hi' the second medal is a german eastern front medal £30 approx the last one is a ww1 field honours badge for the soldiers of hamburg £65 approx.the other two are imperial but not sure what but? Hope this helps.cheers

Hi Tom, my forum friend has given you the correct info on the two he could ID.

Just for futher info, the "German Field Honour badge" was one of many unofficial awards which a WW1 Veteran could buy. (Sometimes incorrectly called by some collectors the "Hamburg Cross") After the institution of the "Cross of Honour" in 1934, the unofficial awards were banned from wear. These are now reproduced.

The medal for "Winterschlacht Im Osten" the so called Ostmedaille or Eastern Front Medal you can read more about here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Front_Medal

Yours may have lost the silver frosting to the rim and helmet which is not unusual, but later issues were made without this.

The two Imperial era items I cannot id, as these are well outside my interests, but I would suggest these are not actual awards. They do not appear in my reference books. What does it say on the first one you show? The second one, the Bavarian coin, looks like it has been converted to a peice of jewelry.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade,here's the back of the suspected coin.On the front is LVDOVICVS II {left side of profiled bust]and on right is BAVARIAE REX. The other piece on front has WILHELM II DEUTSCHER KAISER W/star under profiled bust,in scroll work set in a bluish stone?,is I.PREIS-SCHUTZ,on the rear[back] of this setting is 1692 and under this is ERSTER SCHEIBEN PREIS OR FREIS.I researched Wilhelm but was unable to find anything on actual piece.Thanks for your interest and any more info..Cheers, BTW,silver has worn off the eastern front medal,remnants can be seen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German medals?  

?

Thumbs up Re: German medals?

Quote by outpost View Post
    Hi' the second medal is a german eastern front medal £30 approx the last one is a ww1 field honours badge for the soldiers of hamburg £65 approx.the other two are imperial but not sure what but? Hope this helps.cheers
    Outpost,Thanks also to you for your generous knowledge,it resulted in some great research and info.

Hi Tom, thanks for the extra info on the first one. It is a shooting prize for a club.

The second must just be a commemorative item. Some inf on King Ludwig II of Bavaria:

Ludwig II of Bavaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Tom, thanks for the extra info on the first one. It is a shooting prize for a club.

The second must just be a commemorative item. Some inf on King Ludwig II of Bavaria:

Ludwig II of Bavaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,I would pay money just to see you in action during your fact finding missions,do you have an extensive library also?I was wondering is the shooting prize old?,any value on this or the commemorative and is this old,your tireless efforts are greatly appreciated.Facinating fellow Ludwig was,definitely had a penchant for architecture,I'd like to visit them someday,especially the castle..Thanks again mate,Cheers

?

Some new info on the "commemorative" from the gentleman who gave it to me,it is a penmanship award,it's dated 1692,I don't think it is actual though..am searching for more info on this one and other award..anyone have some clues?

Hi Tom, I do have a fair few books. In fact, I cannot house them all here, so one large bookcase full is at my parents home. This is not exactly ideal as often the book I want is there, but I see Mum and Dad most days.

The 'net of course is a wonderful search tool.

Cheers, Ade.