Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German silver wound badge with engraving

Article about: picked this up in an auction last year,,,engraving looks a little crude,,,opinions please,,,thanks,,Robert

Default German silver wound badge with engraving

picked this up in an auction last year,,,engraving looks a little crude,,,opinions please,,,thanks,,Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German silver wound badge with engraving   German silver wound badge with engraving  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German silver wound badge with engraving
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German silver wound badge with engraving

An original badge but I would be very wary of the engraving - as on any award - especially as it's to an SS recipient. Engraving like this is normally added to sex up an otherwise ordinary badge. If original shouldn't the word 'Unterscharfuhrer' have an umlaut in there somewhere? It's crude enough to be believeable but as I mentioned before, I would treat it with scepticism.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks for your reply Adrian,,,another mystery in collecting,,,Robert

Quote by Adrian View Post
    An original badge but I would be very wary of the engraving - as on any award - especially as it's to an SS recipient. Engraving like this is normally added to sex up an otherwise ordinary badge. If original shouldn't the word 'Unterscharfuhrer' have an umlaut in there somewhere? It's crude enough to be believeable but as I mentioned before, I would treat it with scepticism.
    A good point Adrian, but I wonder why someone would go to that trouble to sex up a relatively low cost item. I would like to think the proud recipient did it himself

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    I wonder why someone would go to that trouble to sex up a relatively low cost item.
    To turn a relatively low cost item into a relatively high cost item!

I know what you mean though but EK1s get 'upgraded' with bogus inscriptions and they're relatively inexpensive. I too would like to believe the recipient did it himself and if it was for a humble infantryman or the like it would be more believable but the SS dedication immediately makes me suspicious.
    Maybe I'm just a cynic!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    To turn a relatively low cost item into a relatively high cost item!

I know what you mean though but EK1s get 'upgraded' with bogus inscriptions and they're relatively inexpensive. I too would like to believe the recipient did it himself and if it was for a humble infantryman or the like it would be more believable but the SS dedication immediately makes me suspicious.
    Maybe I'm just a cynic!
    I agree, I think we have a right to be cynical when we see 'SS' stamped on something

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    I agree, I think we have a right to be cynical when we see 'SS' stamped on something

Nick
    Yep! Be suspicious indeed! But dont out-right dismiss it . Just because it's rare doesnt mean it's fake.Someone said my beret was a fake because it was rare.