Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WHICH GRADE OF Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern

Article about: Good afternoon everybody. I have picked up 3 items today, all of which I will post separately. First, which grade of Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern is this? I believe that it migh

Default WHICH GRADE OF Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern

Good afternoon everybody. I have picked up 3 items today, all of which I will post separately.

First, which grade of Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern is this?
    I believe that it might be the gold version, judging by the colour of the ring, which is maker marked 16 for Alois Rettenmaier. Unfortunately, it came without the ribbon which makes identification harder.

The other alternative is that it is a bronze version, which I have also picked up and will post shortly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WHICH GRADE OF Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern   WHICH GRADE OF Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern  

WHICH GRADE OF Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WHICH GRADE OF Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern
    P
    Many

Interesting pickups. I've never seen this medal before.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Interesting pickups. I've never seen this medal before.
    It's part of a series of medals to be awarded to "The Eastern People" ie Ostvolk instead of the Iron Cross because at the time of institution AH was of the opinion that even though the TR recruited troops from the East who fought and died (hence the need for a bravery award) under the swastika they were somehow not quite worthy of such an iconic and "Germanic" award. Not too much hypocrisy there at all is there?
    The criteria were eventually changed to allow bestowal of the EK, that's OK then

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-10-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Actually, the Ostvolk awards were to be the Eastern volunteers' equivalent of both the Iron Cross and the War Merit Cross; the former being the Tapferkeitsauszeichnung [Bravery Decoration, with swords] and the latter the Verdienstauszeichnung [Decoration for Merit, without swords].

There were three levels of 2nd class awards (bronze, silver, gold) and two levels of 1st class awards (silver, gold) making for a total of 10 different decorations. Each level of the 2nd class decoration could and should be awarded up to three times before the next level was awarded, exceptions being possible in case of particular bravery or achievements.

Multiple awards of the same grade of a decoration was a very unusual practice for German awards, but deliberately followed time-honored Russian traditions to which the volunteers from the Soviet Union were accustomed. The shape of the decoration being a star rather than a cross was also a deliberate design choice, as many of the recipients would be from Muslim- or other non-Christian cultures.

One could say that all this showed a certain degree of cultural sensitivity not exactly typical for the Nazi regime, but of course the very fact of a totally separate award for Eastern volunteers did not sit so well with them as it was felt degrading, so the powers that be decided to also bestow this award on German cadre personnel of Eastern Volunteer units; in their case it had the status of an "Erinnerungsabzeichen" [commemorative badge]. (The rationale being that if German NCOs and officers proudly wore it as well, who could say it was some "Mickey Mouse award"?)

Which class and category the German troops were awarded depended on various factors. It broke down like this:

• Tapferkeitsauszeichnung 2. Klasse in Silber = Awarded to those who had been decorated with the EK2 or clasp to the EK2 while serving with an Eastern Volunteer Unit or for their service in command of Eastern Volunteer formations.
    • Tapferkeitsauszeichnung 1. Klasse in Silber = Awarded to those who had been decorated with the EK1 or clasp to the EK1 while serving with an Eastern Volunteer unit or for their service in command of Eastern Volunteer formations.
    • Verdienstauszeichnung 2. Klasse in Silber = Awarded to those who had been decorated with the EK2 or clasp to the EK2 for other assignments or who had been decorated with the KVK2.
    • Verdienstauszeichnung 1. Klasse in Silber = Awarded to those who had been decorated with the EK1 or clasp to the EK1 for other assignments or who had been decorated with the KVK1.

Yep, top detail as usual Andreas
    Maybe I should have said more

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, but back to my original question, is it gold?

Tough call on the colour: but I think I see some traces of gold between the rays of the star.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi everybody,

I managed to source an original ribbon from Germany for this medal and it now looks a whole lot better. When you compare the two ribbon rings for the gold and bronze version, you can clearly see the difference between the two
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WHICH GRADE OF Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern   WHICH GRADE OF Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse mit Schwertern  

Hello,
    IMO anything that is ring stamped with anything other than 100 (Wachtler and Lang) is one of the modern reproductions.

I don't think that the medal that started this thread is even zinc. It looks like some cheap base metal. It is displaying a multitude of casting faults.

All the best
    Doug

The ring stamp appears to be the same type as on my fake "mask" Anschluss medal see here ,Regards, Paul
    http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/orders...1938-a-657962/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast