Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grandpa's little treasure

Article about: Hello I'm a newbie in this site and would like some help. My grandfather used to sneak as a teenager in the German naval base in Salamis during ww2 and found an Iron Cross and a sumarine bad

creative1
    ?

Default Grandpa's little treasure

Hello I'm a newbie in this site and would like some help. My grandfather used to sneak as a teenager in the German naval base in Salamis during ww2 and found an Iron Cross and a sumarine badge. I suppose that they are real since he found them in there.

About the iron cross, I know that it is a Knights Cross Iron Cross 2nd class with a non-magnetic core (I put magnet on its center and it didn't pull it- is it correct to check it this way?) and it looks like it's made of brass???

About the badge i don't know anything. Do you? What do the markings on the back mean?

And a final question, is there anything that I can use to clean both of them?
    Where can I find a nice box to put them in? I checked ebay but nothing...

thank you in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandpa's little treasure   Grandpa's little treasure  

Grandpa's little treasure   Grandpa's little treasure  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Grandpa's little treasure

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry I can't help you with the badge or the iron cross, but they are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us. One of the other guys will definately be able to help you though.

Lee

?

really dont know about that iron cross ive never seen an all brass version before ive seen brass centre's, bit of an odd one that ????????

Hi,
    Looking at the cross, it may be the size of the knightscross but
    i doubt that it is an issued piece. It is too rough to be worn with any uniform, and is unfinised, My view is that any Kapt, or
    commander, who was issued that would promtly drop it over board with disgust. I think it may be a piece, brass poured into a
    mold, and made by a crew member. It is certainly not a knights cross. As for the badge i like it, it is a nice find but i cant help with the ID.
    Dave

creative1
    ?

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    It is to rough to be worn with any uniform, and is unfinised
    Maybe you're right I don't know, but the "feel" when you touch it is not so hard like when you are touching iron. Besides that he found on the ground which means that it couldn't be in the best condition. As far as the unfinished is concerned, I don't know this is why I'm asking the experts opinion

Hi,
    I can see your concern I am thinking it is brass paured as it is unfinished, I look at the edges of the cross and there are no
    staight edges they are jagged. this would not be on any medal or cross, Medals and crosses are made to a high degree to honor the man who wins it. You say it is as hard as iron, this will feel the same on brass, also brass will not deteriorate in the ground.
    the kriegsmarine EK1 - 2, are made of brass as the iron crosses rusted to quickly. you will find that the centre was made of brass and painted black with the silver edging as on the normal crosses. but your cross is all brass. This is why i say it is not issued.
    dave

creative1
    ?

I found this on the internet:
    WWII German Badges

It's also from brass (the whole cross) but in better condition than mine
    Attached Images Attached Images Grandpa's little treasure 

Hi,
    I stand corrected they did make solid brass crosses, But look at the detail between the two ! you must admit that the cross you show is in very poor state of manufacture. In that condition it
    could not be an issued cross it is just not good enough,.
    Even the main details are missing ie the date stamp is poor,
    the braid detail is missing altogether. I just cant see it being an
    issued military medal. Thanks for sowing it we learn every day.
    dave.

creative1
    ?

What about the submarine badge?

The U Boat award looks a fine later war example made from zink by "GWL".

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast