Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Himmler wearing the SS 12 or 25 years service medal...

Article about: Hi guys, I came upon this picture of Himmler wearing a 12 or 25 years true service in the SS medal. It is accually the first time that I see a picture with the medal in use. Are there more p

?

Default Himmler wearing the SS 12 or 25 years service medal...

Hi guys, I came upon this picture of Himmler wearing a 12 or 25 years true service in the SS medal.
    It is accually the first time that I see a picture with the medal in use. Are there more period pictures of it?

Name:  f0332406_51cc280655f61.jpg
Views: 2098
Size:  157.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

First image I've seen with H.H wearing the 25 jahr...

I didn't realise the Swas was that big on these awards!!

I wouldn't mind one of those babies in my collection

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

For me the the Panzerkampfwagenabzeichen badge being worn by Sepp Dietrich is a far more important and rare award (there were only 99 bestowed), and I wouldn't mind one of those babies in my collection an' all!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Then I was thinking... only few people could have ever been awarded those medals. Only when people joined the SS in 1920?
    So the first SS men that means... But Himmler met Hitler in 1923 for the first time and became Reichsführer in 1929...
    How can man explane that he or someone else wears the 25 years service medal? Did the SS excisted that long...?

- - ------- - -

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    Then I was thinking... only few people could have ever been awarded those medals. Only when people joined the SS in 1920?
    So the first SS men that means... But Himmler met Hitler in 1923 for the first time and became Reichsführer in 1929...
    How can man explane that he or someone else wears the 25 years service medal? Did the SS excisted that long...?
    So I guess that the medal he's wearing is the 12 years service...

- - ------- - -

Regarding the criteria of the 25 year award, here's what Wiki has to say.

"Despite the fact that the whole Nazi movement lasted for little over 25 years (1919-1945) and the SS were founded only in 1923, awards of the 25-year version were made well before 25 years of actual service were completed. This was because the period between 1925 and 1933 (what the Nazis termed Kampfzeit ("Time of Struggle") counted double, and any service in the Armed Forces in the First World War and afterwards, as well as the Police, was also included. Nevertheless, it was one of the rarer awards given out by Nazi Germany".

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

- - ------- - -

Himmler wore the 12 year grade of the decoration.

Nobody ever qualified for the 25 year grade, which was instituted and manufactured, but never awarded.

Technically, Himmler didn't qualify for the SS long service award at all, as this was exclusive to personnel of the SSVT, SSTV and the Junkerschulen (i.e. what was soon collectively known as the Waffen-SS). Personnel of the Allgemeine SS were only eligible for the NSDAP's long service awards, same as SA- and NSKK members.

Himmler fell into none of the qualifying groups for the SS long service award, but apparently the reasoning was that as head of entire SS, he was also the most senior officer of the W-SS.

Awards of the SS long service awards ceased early in the war, at a time when the full-time armed SS formations had not yet existed for eight years. That awards of the 8- and 12 year grades happened at all was due to the fact that previous service in the Nazi movement ["Dienstzeit in der Bewegung"] prior to joining the armed SS was also counted towards the required lengths of service for the 3rd and higher classes (but not for the 4th [4 year] class).

I have never seen period references to pre-1933 service counting double for the SS long service awards, but this was indeed the case with the NSDAP long service awards, where awards of the gold/25 year grade were definitely made.

The information that "any service in the Armed Forces in the First World War and afterwards, as well as the Police" counted, is also incorrect.

From § 2 of the Durchführungsverordnung zur Verordnung über die Stiftung der SS-Dienstauszeichnung [by-law for the decree on the institution of the SS Service Award[/I] (RGBl Teil I Nr. 8 of 30 Jan. 1938, pg. 68):

"(1) Anrechnungsfähig bei Berechnung der Dienstzeit ist auch die tatsächliche Dienstzeit in der Wehrmacht und der Landespolizei unter Einbeziehung von Reserveübungen und der Dienstzeit in den früheren anerkannten Freiweilligen-Verbänden."

"(1) When calculating the length of service, actual service time in the Wehrmacht and the Landespolizei, to include reserve exercises, as well as service time in the former officially recognized volunteer formations is to be taken into account."

Wehrmacht being the "new" army, Landespolizei being the garrisoned para-military police contingents and the volunteer formations being the Free Corps. Thus, not all kinds of Police service were recognized and Imperial-era military service not at all. (Had that been the case, the generic term "Wehrdienst" = "military service" would have been used.)

Anyway, thanks for the photo of Himmler and the two Dietrichs. By the way, this thread has a photo of Himmler's medal bar:

West Wall badge awarded to Waffen SS?
    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-12-2015 at 10:17 PM.

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Himmler wore the 12 year grade of the decoration.

Nobody ever qualified for the 25 year grade, which was instituted and manufactured, but never awarded.

Technically, Himmler didn't qualify for the SS long service award at all, as this was exclusive to personnel of the SSVT, SSTV and the Junkerschulen (i.e. what was soon collectively known as the Waffen-SS). Personnel of the Allgemeine SS were only eligible for the NSDAP's long service awards, same as SA- and NSKK members.

Himmler fell into none of the qualifying groups for the SS long service award, but apparently the reasoning was that as head of entire SS, he was also the most senior officer of the W-SS.

Awards of the SS long service awards ceased early in the war, at a time when the full-time armed SS formations had not yet existed for eight years. That awards of the 8- and 12 year grades happened at all was due to the fact that previous service in the Nazi movement ["Dienstzeit in der Bewegung"] prior to joining the armed SS was also counted towards the required lengths of service for the 3rd and higher classes (but not for the 4th [4 year] class).

I have never seen period references to pre-1933 service counting double for the SS long service awards, but this was indeed the case with the NSDAP long service awards, where awards of the gold/25 year grade were definitely made.

The information that "any service in the Armed Forces in the First World War and afterwards, as well as the Police" counted, is also incorrect.

From § 2 of the Durchführungsverordnung zur Verordnung über die Stiftung der SS-Dienstauszeichnung [by-law for the decree on the institution of the SS Service Award[/I] (RGBl Teil I Nr. 8 of 30 Jan. 1938, pg. 68):

"(1) Anrechnungsfähig bei Berechnung der Dienstzeit ist auch die tatsächliche Dienstzeit in der Wehrmacht und der Landespolizei unter Einbeziehung von Reserveübungen und der Dienstzeit in den früheren anerkannten Freiweilligen-Verbänden."

"(1) When calculating the length of service, actual service time in the Wehrmacht and the Landespolizei, to include reserve exercises, as well as service time in the former officially recognized volunteer formations is to be taken into account."

Wehrmacht being the "new" army, Landespolizei being the garrisoned para-military police contingents and the volunteer formations being the Free Corps. Thus, not all kinds of Police service were recognized and Imperial-era military service not at all. (Had that been the case, the generic term "Wehrdienst" = "military service" would have been used.)

Anyway, thanks for the photo of Himmler and the two Dietirchs. By the way, this thread has a photo of Himmler's medal bar:

West Wall badge awarded to Waffen SS?

You're welcome! :-)

Splendid thread!

Hi, for me I would like Heinrich's, Otto Dietrich and Sepp Dietrichs Visors and tunics etc ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast