Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you know if a Minensuch abzeichen badge is real or fake?

Article about: I am very interested in purchasing a mine sweeper badge, but I do not know the tell tale signs of the fakes. Could anyone provide tips on what should or should not be there? Thanks

G43
    ?

Default How do you know if a Minensuch abzeichen badge is real or fake?

I am very interested in purchasing a mine sweeper badge, but I do not know the tell tale signs of the fakes. Could anyone provide tips on what should or should not be there? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How do you know if a Minensuch abzeichen badge is real or fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: How do you know if a Minensuch abzeichen badge is real or fake?

You just have to learn the individual features of each maker. If you find one for sale, post it here and we can help you with it.

When I come back from work I will post mine, an unmarked S&L and a Rudolf Karneth, both in zinc.

I am willing to bet that Adrian would be more than happy to make this thread a Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen database and sticky it?

G43
    ?

Great, thanks, and what do you think a fair/average price is for a decent condition common maker?

KSH
    ?

Quote by G43 View Post
    I am very interested in purchasing a mine sweeper badge, but I do not know the tell tale signs of the fakes. Could anyone provide tips on what should or should not be there? Thanks
    Also, one needs to look at the material the badge is made of, the finish, the method of manufacture etc. Many fakes have been cast and will often display small pits and other inconsistencies apparent - in addition to soft details. But some fakes are so good that a beginner especially, should do as Mo (ObKrieger) adviced: namely to familiarize himself/herself with the individual features of the different makers.

I only own one Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boot-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände, this LDO-marked Wilhelm Deumer made of tombak (it cost me 225 Euros from a fellow collector - the Zink versions are cheaper generally):

How do you know if a Minensuch abzeichen badge is real or fake?How do you know if a Minensuch abzeichen badge is real or fake?

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.
    Last edited by KSH; 02-07-2012 at 07:16 PM.

?

Post it up and lets have a look! Noone can say specifically what to look for as there are currently 85 variantssplit between many makers so to list every detail right no would be a very thick book!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Do you have one in mind, do you know the maker? My examples have all been posted here for reference so you could compare to them if they're the same maker.
    Just be aware of the eagles. They should all be bald. If you find one with defined feathers you should consider it fake.
    To add a bit more, prices vary depending on make, materials, condition but you can pick up an average example for around €100-€150. Schwerin badges in tombak command the highest prices on average as they are the most desireable. Souval zinc badges are at the lower end of the scale.
    I have picked them up for as little as £50 but I have also just bought one for £225. My latest is a Schwerin in zinc. A high price for a zinc badge but it is rather shiny!

G43
    ?

I do not have a specific maker in mind. I would just like to own one in general. Also can you send me a link to your badges? Thanks

?

If you click on my name and go to my profile, look down the left hand side of the page and find the heading of 'All Started Threads' or words long those lines, click on it and then scan down the list for the threads about Minesweepers.
    If you find a badge you like and wish to buy, copy and save the pics, upload them to the forum and we can give you opinions.

?

Although many awards have great detailed eagles, with sharp eyes and beak, KM award eagles are often not detailed, sometimes even look like doves.
    like the one posted above, so details is not all your looking for......make yourself familiar with materials, makers and hinges ( often a give away).
    Otherwise google on maker and compare as many as you can find, i started with that, it time consuming but it works.

cheers Ger

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I am willing to bet that Adrian would be more than happy to make this thread a Minensuch Kriegsabzeichen database and sticky it?
    Better than that Mo, I've been in touch with another respected Minesweeper collector who has written a classification method based upon the obverse design which has since evolved into an easy to read classification table listing all makers and variants thereof.
    It's a fascinating study and I'm pleased to say that he has generously agreed to share it with us here on this forum. Hopefully over the next week or so you'll see it here so watch this space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast