Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to identify photographs by awards, etc?

Article about: I have around 50 Nazi Germany photographs of soldiers. I'm trying to identify what they did military wise (Air force, army, etc) but am having issues. On many of the uniforms, the only ident

Legato_lover
    ?

Default How to identify photographs by awards, etc?

I have around 50 Nazi Germany photographs of soldiers. I'm trying to identify what they did military wise (Air force, army, etc) but am having issues. On many of the uniforms, the only identifying marks are the little triangle badges on the side of the arm, or the "line" patches sown into the neck flaps, or the hats. It would seem that these were on many different uniforms (which look similar), and I'm having trouble deciding just which one it is. In some cases, one part matches (the hat) but then there are other things that don't (the belt, the badges on neck flap). Does anyone have any solutions? I'm very inexperienced with this. Is there anywhere I can post them and have some one know?

2. # ADS

Default Re: How to identify photographs by awards, etc?

If you post the images, I am sure your colleagues here will help you. In the meantime, if this interest of yours shows signs of lasting for longer than 21 days, you might consider certain leading reference works. Those of Andew Mollo and Brian Davis are excellent...also those of our very own leader, Robin Lumsden have merit to. You can also look on such other websites as the Axis History Forum, which I heartily recommend.

our motto: dare to be enlightened.

Legato_lover
    ?

Well, I'm only eighteen, you see, and I'm going to college soon so I'm very poor. I'm not sure if I'd be able to afford a book! I'll see if I can find a cheap one on ebay.

I do think this interest will last me. It has kind of developed (ironically) from my interest in Jewish Studies and the Holocaust. I really like collecting pictures because I never realized how human these people were until I saw them. It really gives you a perspective that's often neglected by textbooks and historians.

I'd like to post them for help. May I ask some etiquette? First, how many should I post? Second, where should I post it? Third, should I link or use the handy upload tool provided?

Zaitsev
    ?

Thank you! (Do not be confused, I made another account, with a name not from my childhood years.)

What you say is true. Only I hope I won't be able to buy these artifacts from my elders for a long, long time.

That being said, I like pictures more than anything, and they are the most reasonable. I have some coins and a little bank note and a very special book that a friend gave me, which survived the bombing of Berlin, but pictures are like mirrors into the past. These Germans used to smile at the camera, clown around, get is silly poses, kiss girls--it's just so funny, because for me there has always been a certain sinister cloud surrounding Nazis in general, and these photos are so contradictory to that--they were, a majority, just men.

This image, however, is of children only some months after war's end in 1945. Here the ruins of the Hotel Kaiserhof, across the Wilhlemsplatz from the Reichschancellery. This hotel was Hitler's home away from home in the years prior to his accession to power in January 1933. He was a fixture in the excellent cafe therein.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to identify photographs by awards, etc?  

Another image as concerns children at play in the wreckage of war...just imagine what cast off things these kids could have found in the era of the black market that would give present day visitors to this site heart flutter. Likely their concerns were entirely different than our own.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to identify photographs by awards, etc?  

Here is an image of a leading German industrialist at his denazification proceedings. It is a member of the Thyssen steel family.

Contrast this image of Nazi Volksturm in late 1944 to the image of Eicke and his SSTV officers in the glory years. Six years have passed. I am not sure the men in the black uniforms made it past 1945, and likely this more than middle age man and the teen ager with the Panzerfaust did not make it either, especially if they were in eastern or central Germany in the path of the Soviet army.

michal
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Here is Eicke with another senior SS TV leader and a Sturmbannfuehrer for SSTV 1 "Oberbayern" at the SS complex at Dachau in 1938... here the helmets are not a plaything. I believe this part of the SS complex still exists, in use by the Bavarian state police for civil emergencies...
    Friedrich,
    it seems to be very nice photo, however I cant open it. could you please re-post it once again? Do you know another 2 men with Eicke?
    Best regards,
    Michal

Hi Michal, I have cropped FB's photo of Eicke. I hope this helps? It should make it smaller for you to open.

Sorry I cannot help on the two mens ID's.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast