Interesting Bandenkampfabzeichen type 2

Article about: Hello gentlemans, picked up an interesting APB badge. After a few years, once more a nice and intersting new adding in the APB collecting field for me. It┤s an uncommon badge regarding the d

Default Interesting Bandenkampfabzeichen type 2

Hello gentlemans,

picked up an interesting APB badge. After a few years, once more a nice and intersting new adding in the APB collecting field for me.

It┤s an uncommon badge regarding the die struck quality. Perfectly nice and deep details on the badge...i think i have not often seen a APB badge with so a good die struck quality. Note the details on the skull and snakes for example. Perfectly fine and then, a production fault in the area of the swas, sword and a small part of the snake. For me the first time, that i see this combination.

The badge was awarded to a soldier of an Luftwaffe unit. He was fighting in Italy and earned there the APB. The badge was coming together with the Wehrpa▀ and Soldbuch and is listed in the Wehrpa▀ too.
    The badge is in close to mint condition and the finish is completly intact. The colour of the finish is on the pics not good to see. It is the same dark chocolate finish, who is for example to find on Juncker Nahkampfspangen.

Hope this badge is interesting for you too.

Kind regards
    Joe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	814943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	814942  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	814941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	814944  

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	814945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment[1].jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	814946  

Name:	attachmentKACY16RO.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	814947  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hi Joe,

Very nice APB with the rare Juncker 'C' type catch. The flaw is interesting, I've seen others similar on other early Juncker badges; the area of the sword where it occurs often has a 'notch' in the edge and it appears in this case that could be where excess material, or 'flash' formed. Looking closely, you can see an area below it on the snakes body where there is for me a grinding burr caused most likely when the 'flash' was removed during the trimming process, this certainly looks like it's UNDERNEATH the bronze finish and was not caused later in wear. Nice to see there are non of the usual cracks commonly found on these badges.

A very nice addition to your collection, I must get one myself .......One day!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Nice to see a genuine item!.....
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

very nice shame about the fault.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Looking closely, you can see an area below it on the snakes body where there is for me a grinding burr caused most likely when the 'flash' was removed during the trimming process, this certainly looks like it's UNDERNEATH the bronze finish and was not caused later in wear. Nice to see there are non of the usual cracks commonly found on these badges.
    Regards, Ned.
    A very nice addition Joe!
    Congrats!
    These "grinding" marks can also be seen on the oakleaf on the left side of the badge as well.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A very nice addition Joe!
    Congrats!
    These "grinding" marks can also be seen on the oakleaf on the left side of the badge as well.
    Ralph.
    Exactly Ralph. I have had note this grinding mark on the oakleaf too. This badge had some special remachining after the die struck process. The production fault is for me personal no problem, it gives the badge a individual character. And it comes with provenance!

Thank you Ned for your intersting analyse regarding the production fault! It looks so, that you have already visited a medal and orders production. I was thinking, that the die was possible dirty in the fault areas and the die struck in this parts become a bit low quality.

Generaly we know not really much about the time frames about the APB`s. For sure, the type 2 badges like this in the thread are earlier pruduced than the type 1 badges.

The time frames into the seperate classification of type 1 and type 2 badges was made into another forum based on the different numbers of cut outs. The theory behind was to save time into the production. The theory says therefore, that earlier produced badges have three cut out┤s and the very late badges have no cut outs.

But you can find both type of badges (type 1 and 2) with different numbers of cut Outs. When i am a entrepreneur to save time and money for my production, why make i am the fault double? It makes no sense to optimize the production in the early production time when the type 2 was produced and later when started the type 1 production you make the same "fault" with different cut outs again??

This are only some thoughts, that i have made me in the past. I think we will never find a last proof without documents of the manufacturer. But it would be intersting to know, when the different types of APB┤s was made and which "secret" is standing behind the different numbers of cut outs?

What do you think guys, which badge is earlier made in your opinion when you compare the badge with three cut outs and two cut outs?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5713 - Kopie.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	815364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5716 - Kopie.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	815365  

Name:	DSCF5721 - Kopie.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	815366