Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?

Article about: Hi all, Came across this kuban shield. Since I'm still learning about the hobby, I would like to get opinions on authenticity of this. Looks like this has never been used. Thanks in advance

Default JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?

Hi all,

Came across this kuban shield. Since I'm still learning about the hobby, I would like to get opinions on authenticity of this. Looks like this has never been used.

Thanks in advance

JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?
    P
    Many

This is an jfs example I found. This seems to have a lot more detail than what I posted, but it could be because of the die used.
    Kuban Shield | eMedals

Please do not use photo hosting sites and no links!
    Please observe the rules set out by the Admin.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...uncements.html
    Thank you,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

There's a problem with these shields. Both are marked JFS when non of the 7 accepted types are made by a known maker. The pic's of the first one aren't good enough to make an honest decision imo so i'll let that lie, but the maker marked backing is not a good start as it's completely bogus.

The eMedals one is more interesting. I've seen this badge before, it's sure been doing the rounds, as the exact same one has previously been sold by Detlev Niemann and Militaria Berlin within the last 6 years or so. The concensus is it's an original Kuban shield that has had a fake cloth backing added and then a genuine JFS 42 paper backing from one of their Krim shields added.

Take a close look at the backing paper, how has it been possible for the bottom right prong to end up folded on the outside of the paper? Answer, because the badge was taken apart to add the cloth and possibly also the counter plate and then the paper backing was wrongly pressed over the prongs before folding them over! See the photo below to confirm this.

So, one is still up in the air, and the other is a hybrid of at least two badges to produce something that has so far never been proven to have been produced by JFS, and is therefore at best, a "parts" badge.

Regards, Ned.

JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned,

Here are three better quality photos.

JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?JFS Kuban shield - good or fake?

Ned,

Thanks a lot. You are the best!

Hi, personally I am not keen on the thread starting shield, the detail of the wreath is especially weak, as is the clarity of the "strike" to the city of Lagunen in particular. It also has a couple of die/casting flaws running between the 1&9 of the 1943 that I have not seen on one before. The overall look of wear and distress to the metal compared to the material backing also looks like a miss match to me. Not one that I would want. Leon.

Thanks all