Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie

Article about: Hey guys, my buddy Dave hooked me up with this at the Allentown show over the weekend. Some debate has been brought up regarding the finish. I had two very knowledgeable badge collectors loo

?

Default Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie

Hey guys, my buddy Dave hooked me up with this at the Allentown show over the weekend. Some debate has been brought up regarding the finish. I had two very knowledgeable badge collectors look at it and they say it's ok, then a third doesn't like the finish. All agree the badge is real. Any help would be great, thanks in advance guys!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie   Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie  

Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie   Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie  

Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie   Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie  

Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie
    P
    Many

Nothing wrong with the finish. As the war progressed and the manufacturers were forced into using cheaper, more readily available materials like zinc alloys, they were also forced into adopting different methods of applying gold and silver finish. Since this badge as pictured is made out of zinc it would be impossible to apply mercury gilding to it as it would simply melt when the workers would try to burn it off. Hence the gold paint as seen above. Aside from not being as sparkly as firegilding it was also much thicker (applied with a brush for most part) which is what we see above. Late war product by C.E.Juncker with no enhancements IMO.
    Congrats

Matt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Gau Ehrenzeichen Collector

Josh, I have changed the thread title. Come on, no more laziness please. We have all the war badges etc listed in German at the top of the page. It is not much to ask to use this.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

its ok.

?

Sorry Ade, sometimes I get in a hurry throughout the day ....but you are absolutely correct,I should take the time!

Thanks Josh. Nothing wrong with being keen!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi Guys,

I hate being the odd one out. While I agree that's a nice looking genuine zinc Juncker Marine Artillery badge, the obverse finish on the wreath is quite atypical for Juncker. The key point here is "for Juncker". You can't just compare the finish to late wartime makers in Lüdenscheid and Pforzheim, but rather you have to consider what finish was used by Juncker.

Here are some examples showing the typical finish on Juncker zinc Marine Artillery badges. There is a black finish on the ground at the bottom of the obverse feature and the late wartime wash gilding fades to grey. On the reverse the main pin is blackened.

On Josh's badge the finish is completely worn off of the obverse feature with none of the black finish on the ground. On the reverse the main pin is totally scoured free of the usual blackening. Despite the complete lack of finish remaining on the reverse and the obverse feature we see a nice amount of distinct gilding that is different from the usual faded-to-grey Juncker finish.

Furthermore, when you look at the eagle's chest feathers on Josh's and the comparator, you'll see that the detail on Josh's is relatively worn down and yet the finish is present over it. The truth is that the finish simply didn't last this well on Juncker zincers.

I'm not saying this was done recently. I really couldn't say when, and for all we know this could have been done in 1946 by it's recipient. I just don't think that's the finish applied in the Juncker factory. But still a hard to find, original badge.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie   Juncker zinc Kriegsabzeichen fur die Marine-Artillerie